Good pond fish other then goldfish/koi?

Imatation Crab

800 gallon pond
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
I am looking for some fish to add to my 800 gallon pond. Im looking for anything other than koi and goldfish, any suggestions?
Im also in zone 5

Imatation Crab

800 gallon pond
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
800 gals isn't very big, so whatever you end up with, keep 'em small & not too many.
I wasn't really thinking big gamefish I am more interested in smaller species like Rainbow Dace,
Goby,and killifish. The only problem is that some of those can be fairly $$$ so Im looking for advice on those fish before I spend $ on them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't know much about the other fish that you mentioned are, so no help there! But one thing I have learned from years of gardening (with my share of failures) is if you see something over and over again it's probably used frequently because it works. If you want to try something that you don't see other people doing (and this applies to plants as well as fish) you do so knowing that it might not work as well.

Koi and goldfish are popular in garden ponds because they are colorful, friendly and hardy. They are constantly swimming and moving and will develop trust in humans given time, making them more interesting to watch - for most people! I enjoy my fish as an element of my garden pond, but I don't necessarily want to spend a lot of time caring for fish. So the ease of keeping koi and goldfish appeals to me. You may find the challenge of keeping other types of fish to be more fun for you!

Hopefully someone else has some useful first-hand experience they can share!

Reaction score
we have the rainbow dace and some high fin sharks also now...
the high fin sharks are constantly working hard at eating the algae :)
the dace are interesting to watch in the early evening at dusk as they shoal at that time and are looking for bugs etc.

Ask a Question