Good Uv light for small pond.

Reaction score
I have a 400-500 gal pond,I fought green algae bad last summer. I was going to just not put fish in and use chemicals to keep it clear. But now I am thinking of getting a UV light to keep it clear, will this help? And what is a reasonable one I can get that will do the job. I really don't want to spend alot on one but I do want one that works good. Any thoughts?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
U.Vs are great for ridding a pond of green water. (single cell alge)...you would be well served by a 9 watter...tetraponds are good and available at any Lowes...under $100. ebay usually has a good selection.

Reaction score
Smallest you can get. However, be aware if the pump pushes water too fast through the UV the algae may not be killed. I'd assume you'd be OK, but worth a check. Flow rates for pump and UV are given in GPH (gallons per hour). The UV spec is often given as its max, I like to subtract 10-20% off of that max and make sure the pump is less GPH.

Reaction score
I have been looking on Amazon and what about something like this,
Sunterra 334018 18-Watt UV Clarifier , Its $89.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
did you check ebay? theyve usually got a good selection...my tetrapond 9 watt was $79 at Lowes...no waiting and no postage. i put 1000gph thru it ..on my 450 gal pond clear it up in a couple days..it cleared my 1200 gal pond in 4 days...with a 1200 gph pump. i believe its rated for up to 1900 gph. coincidentally the pond store / nursery had it for $219...

Reaction score
Heres a tip find a local reef forum they always have uv sterlizerss for sale I got an 18 watt uv for 50$ cash from a guy 5 minutes away they end up doing more bad then good in a reef tank. I say from personal the corallife turbo twist rocks

Ask a Question