got lucky

kougs

kougs
Reaction score
So I have to sound off, ok brag. I scored on ten non domestic Koi today ......free. ranging from 16 to 30 inches.

Attachments

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
You are bragging! lol, those are some nice looking fish, how did you come across that? rescue? always love rescue stories.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
nice looking fish and guess your really is starting out great for the new year and come spring you will end up with some nice looking babes as a reward

kougs

kougs
Reaction score
I guess you could call it a rescue. Found a posting on Craigslist and the guy told me he got hundof responses. And I was picked out of all of them. Sent a picture of my pond and a brief description of my set up. He is moving out of state and couldn't take with. They are beautiful.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Beautiful fish, they are getting a good home with you

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well you will have that joy and I'm sure you will have a lot of babes to enjoy from them also .Can't wait for summer to see what you get from them

kougs

kougs
Reaction score
Sissy, one of them is a female and if there are babies I will be posting on this forum free Koi. I got them free so ill pay it forward .

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Nice fish, Just saw a ad on craigslist for koi here to to rescue but I don't have enough room to get them. Hopefully they will find someone like you that has a set up reday to adopt as well. Nice grab!

kougs

kougs
Reaction score
Fishin, I figured I was going to pick up domestic Koi. Imagine my surprise when I was within viewing distance to see and I'm assuming Japanese bread Koi.
I am very happy being chosen.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
How do you know theyre Japanese? all koi decend from Japan. were they flown in directly from Japan? any born here are technically domestic.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Fishin, I figured I was going to pick up domestic Koi. Imagine my surprise when I was within viewing distance to see and I'm assuming Japanese bread Koi.
I am very happy being chosen.
Hate to bust the bubble on the Japanese koi, It actually appears to be pretty much all are domestic raised koi. I don't see any that would stand out as Japanese breed and I feel like if there were any the owner would have been quick to point out if they were. Considering that it can cost $100+ to ship a single fish plus the cost of the fish. Usually they would be very distinct and most would be quick to point out who the breeder is and what farm they came from.
Not to say you didn't get any really nice domestic raised, there are a few that are really nice marked but IMO, they are exactly what was listed, Domestic raised. Still a great find!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
exactly right FISHIN'.... the Japanese koi are of the same species genetics as domestics. they are just far more into culling and only raise the cream of the crop to adfulthood. they destroy fish that most people would find very nice or even beautiful....its just a real strict criteria they have. they actually bring a very small percentage of the fry to adequate size for sale. in time,you could breed domestics to be as beautiful as any japanese breeder if you want to breed quality not quantity.and start with the right parentage.....any ways you did good!....enjoy them.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I sometimes wonder about koi anymore with all the cross breeding that can go on as over the last couple of years having a mixture of fish in my pond i have gotten some strange looking babies .Two years ago the babies i got were funny looking fantails that I gave to my neighbor for her pond and they now have long flowing tails and the only way I can tell they are my fantails is there fat bodies .I was hoping to get more this year but the only baby I got died in my filter .I think when the dog ripped the liner I could have lost most of my babies with the loss of a lot of water

kougs

kougs
Reaction score
I'm a newbie so still learning the ropes.
So at the pond places when they post a pond as Japanese koi they are more than likely domestic? Thus by stating Japanese koi they can get a higher price for them? Seems a bit dishonest to me. Just need clarification.

I'm still happy with what I found.

Ask a Question