Got mad at a fish today so.....................

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So I drained the hot tub pond, caught the sucker and tossed it into another pond.

I forgot to net the pond when I went to Florida in Feb. The beautiful heron stopped by and I went from 12 fan tails to 2. I have been watching the two survivors on the fish cam and I see one of those grayish, throwback gold fish in the hot tub chasing the heck out of the fan tails. It chased both to death.

So that fish was going to be removed no matter what it took. That fish must have come with a plant when I pulled lilies and put them into the hot tub pond, a egg, tiny fry who knows.

What it took was pulling the lilies, pulling the plants draining down the tub, finally found it swimming on one of the seats in about 2 inches of water. About three hours of work to remove reinstall fix fill the pond again. And stung by a bee, they were mad I had removed their watering place. Changed out the new bog to a a bigger and stiff sided pot. I just let the water trickle over the edge.

Saw this tiny frog, one of our tree frogs, I have heard it in the pond peeping like crazy, very loud. I could never find it. I caught a glimpse as the pond was refilling and it was hanging on the side.
20190423_113310.jpg

Now need to buffer up the water, even though I saved as much as I could. The ph is below 6, the kh is below 30. No way I can put new fish in until I get that stable again. Our well water is so acidic and soft. And of course the clearing water is now mucked up. I took the opportunity to make some changes after tossing it together last summer. Using dryer racks, bread racks to make flatter spots for the lilies, you can fit more lilies in. I have 6 lilies in the tub, all except two are the hybrids. They are my special ones.
Capture.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Glad you got that terrorist fish outta there!
Your HT pond looks so nice all spruced up and waiting for more fish that will be nice to each other

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well now that a tech is coming out, our net is back up. It was on and off all day yesterday, so letting them come on out.

I put in crushed oyster shells yesterday, the ph did go up to 6.8, from a pure yellow color to a touch of green. Going to test it again today. I have the water running through a tiny bog, over plant pots kitty litter koi clay tossed in. The black net on the gutter waterfall is filled with chicken grit so water is running over it at all times. Also grit in the tiny bog.

The water is crystal clear! It was totally mucked up yesterday couldn't see one inch down.
20190424_065506.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is a view from the cam, I need to clean the lens I am sure some of the debris from the stir up yesterday covered the lens.
Capture.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lmao.............the fish should be happy it was not squished. Those two poor fantails. They were survivors, and got chased to death.
We will go to the fish hatchery and pick up some more. No need to guarantee as the pond is empty.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Your water is opposite of mine. Ph 8 and hard! I’d love to get a hot tub, but mine would be for humans!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I’d love to get a hot tub, but mine would be for humans!
This is our old one, we replaced it after it broke (10 years old) We kept it, dear hubby said make another pond! So I did.

Yeah comcast came out, we are fixed, bad cable end in their box. Running good again!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ah! There they are! So pretty! Pond store or pet store?
We are lucky, we have a fish hatchery just 20 minute drive or so from our house. They raise koi, gf, tads, crawfish etc Lots of mud ponds.

He told me they had a otter attack this last winter, 4 of them invaded their koi pond ate some of their huge breeders.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Really nice couple, All the fish in my ponds have come from them. They have vats of fish you can choose from. Some really neat looking koi, vats of "plain" koi to vats of special koi. Shubunkins with real long flowing fins, they have one pond that breeds for that look.

Ask a Question