Got me some panda platies!

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
My small tank has fallen on hard times. The main inhabitants were 3 red platies and 3 swordtails. 2 of the platies died and the survivor was feeling very lonely. These guys had been most affected by the scaredy cat red eyed tetras and never seemed to recover. The swordtails had been doing well but one recently succumbed to something or other so the tank was just left with 3 fish.

This was a 29g tank with plenty of filtration so after the holidays we went shopping. We came back with:
1) 2 red platies for the survivor.
2) 2 female swordtails for the pair that was left.
3) 3 panda platies.

1) Unfortunately, when we came back home, we found that the red color of the platy fish was somewhat different and the platies didn't seem to play together. The original platies could have been frymates and did everything together. But at least the survivor doesn't seem that lonely anymore.
2) I really like the swordtails, they are very active. These are the guys who love the snails and I love watching them feed on the snails.
3) The Panda Platies are really nice. I'd wanted some for a long time but never had the room. They are very active and seem to like the snails too. Though I wouldn't really call them pandas. Their coloring more reminds me of Cruella Deville's hair.

The Pandas seem to be the most active, swimming both in the middle and rooting in the gravel and nibbling at the snails. Anyway, very pleased with the Pandas.

The other inhabitants of the tank are the rogue snails, assassin snails, amana shrimp and cories, plus a lot of plants.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If our fish in the tank survive our house care takers, mainly tetras, 55 gallon very low stocking, I will get some swordtails and pandas, have a bunch of snails showing up in the tank.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
darn sorry about that. I put in a bunch of tetras when I set up the tank, a few did die, now totally stable, well when we left stable. It is full of hornwort and anacharis, think that might help.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Thanks. Not sure why the swordtail died. I have enough bio filtration and plants in the tank.

The assassin snail, I think he picked the wrong victim and got it himself. Ya, the assassin snail got assassinated.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So the assassin snail is poisonous? didn't know that. I just have those little fish tank snails. I was going to bring in some trapdoors before it got cold, just forgot. Then the pond was too cold and frozen to grab some.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
addy1 said:
So the assassin snail is poisonous? didn't know that. I just have those little fish tank snails. I was going to bring in some trapdoors before it got cold, just forgot. Then the pond was too cold and frozen to grab some.
No, they eat their victims. They're like cannibals. He must have tried to eat someone who ate him back and the other guy won. All I can see is the empty shell, completely picked clean. Didn't even leave a tip.

I started a thread on this somewhere. I had a snail infestation and bought 3 assassins per tank. But I discovered that my swordtails love escargot so I ended up harvesting the snails for them to eat.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yep remember that thread I have been pulling snails from the tank and ummmmmmmmmmmmmm flushing them. When there gets to be too many

Ask a Question