sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
seeds I have seen drop to the bottom of a body of water and spout and then raise to the top of the water .I must have had some seeds on my lily plant that sprouted last year and grew on the lily root .I did not even see them until the storm blew the root ball sideways

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
so you did end up growing full grown Hyacinth from seeds?

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I tried the seeds again and see the first sprout.

Attachments

• 20200412_215750~2.jpg
    20200412_215750~2.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 432
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pat Fish, I bought some hyacinth seeds that look identical to yours. Thought I'd bought the big flowering colourful ones. They were water hyacinth and I don't even have a pond! Not knowing this I popped 10 evenly in a pot and covered with a light layer of Compost. Germinated within a few days so maybe you should try that method with a few seeds. Good luck

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone on here got water hyacinth or seeds? Really water some for my fish tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All seeds are legal where I live even cannabis. As long as you don't germinate them. Tried to buy some seeds off a website but they just took my money and I've received no seeds

Reaction score
Country
United States
Water-hyacinth (Eichhornia crassipes) does produce bisexual flowers with anthers (Male) and pistil (female) on the same plant.

However there is tristyly in this species, with three distinctly different style (narrowed part of the pistil) lengths occurring on different plants, though the short style length only occurs in South America. Tristyly is assumed to facilitate out-crossing over selfing, but it seems that Water-hyacinths self-fertilize quite well, possibly making the function of their tristyly obsolete.

Perhaps lack of pollinators or cold weather limits seed pod production in temperate climate ponds. Perhaps when seed pods do occur they are overlooked. The seed pods are about 1 cm. long. Overall it seems that vegetative propagation is much more common than sexual propagation with this species.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah the EU, which we are no longer part of, in all their wisdom banned the plant. Even though the die off every winter outside making them not much of a threat. Also as stated before I'm just going to be keeping them indoors. I've owned them years ago and wish I kept some going inside now as its easier to find other banned plant than it is to find these things.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yeah the EU, which we are no longer part of, in all their wisdom banned the plant. Even though the die off every winter outside making them not much of a threat. Also as stated before I'm just going to be keeping them indoors. I've owned them years ago and wish I kept some going inside now as its easier to find other banned plant than it is to find these things.
I've tried to overwinter them for a few years now and while I DO manage to keep one or two alive, their both small and struggling by springtime; what's your secret to keeping hyacinths inside?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've never even tried it yet but I keep lots of other aquatic plants and they seem to do fine in my aquariums. I've got bright led's, co2 for my emersed plants and adding ferts.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've tried to overwinter them for a few years now and while I DO manage to keep one or two alive, their both small and struggling by springtime; what's your secret to keeping hyacinths inside?
How did you over winter them? Just in tap water on a windowsill

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
How did you over winter them? Just in tap water on a windowsill
well, windowsilling them wouldn't work here as there would be a good cold draft off the windows in the winter and we don't get much sun during that time either. I ususally put them down in my basement greenhouse, either in an aquarium under lights (like RIGHT under) and last year, I put a heater in to keep the water temp up. Ah well, thought there might be some secret I could employ!

smilie sword twirl.gif

Ask a Question