Got our second Koi - white butterfly koi!

lindsayanng

Umm yea... confused
Reaction score
Sorry i dont have pictures.. we just got him and by the time we got home it was dark, so i couldnt get a good picture. Plus, our water is a tad murky so its kinda hard to see through it. I was told the murkiness is from barley pellets that we had put in.

Anyways.. I will get pictures tomorrow.. but in the mean time.. let me tell you.. HE IS BEAUTIFUL!!!

He is about 10-11" with lovely flowing fins and tail. He is pure white.. nothing else.

I am wondering though.. can you tell if a koi is a male or female??

Also, what is the average cost for a 10" pond grade butterfly koi?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
barley pellets are bad for turning your water brown.. but its only temporary you wont have that problem wit the extract instead. works better and faster too!!!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
yeah...its a good idea to start the barley treatments as soon as you open the pond..instead of waiting till its a problem.

Reaction score
nice i have a pinkish one that has some metalic scales. my girlfriend says it looks like a princess. that one was about $30 for a 6" one. but i usually dont get koi from the place i got it at. the cheapest around here is $14 but if i go at the right time i can get them for cheaper

lindsayanng

Umm yea... confused
Reaction score
well.. then i guess $30 for a koi in my neck of the woods, where everything seems to be worth DOUBLE than it is anywhere else, seems to be a pretty good deal..

He is GORGEOUS, and I am trying to figure out if it is a male or female so I can name him, but i cant tell right now. I read that the females will have a rounder more blimp like body.. this one doesnt look round, but its not quite torpedo shaped either

Reaction score
Thats a really good deal for a big one. the place i went was in LA they sanitize everything before they do anything. not a drop of water changes from pond to pond. you should give it a unisex name...lol...jkjk

lindsayanng

Umm yea... confused
Reaction score
That's kinda how this place is. Each pond has it's own set of tools and what not. It's not really ponds but large tubs.

Anyway, I got a pic that I will post soon. We have a polarizer filter for the camera so we can get pics of underwater without reflection. It was darkat the time of the pic though so it's not perfect

Ask a Question