Got the fry in the inside tank

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
HI, so I have the fry inside. I put 30+ in there, but can only count 15 now. I may have to take the biggest out and put it in the pond. The problem I am having is the PH is dropping. Here are the water tests. : PH 6.0, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0. Also how do I feed the little ones the same as the bigger ones? I have been trying first bites, which is a powder, it disappears as soon as it hits the water and it doesn't seem like anyone gets any. I have flakes, I tried to crush them, but it wasn't a big hit. I also have bug bites.

What is the best way to raise that PH? I have a 5gal bucket of water I took out of the tank on Sunday that has a PH of 6.5, could I add baking soda to that and then add so much to the fry tank? Or take out water from the fry tank and use tap? The tank is still not full as you will see from the video. The water is also green, as I had to use tote water they were in when transferred. So if you have any suggestions for that or any plants that will live in the tank with an LED lamp. The plants I have in there are not doing great.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’m no expert, but daily tip off with pond water will help. It’s got daphnia, and will help the ph a little. I fed my fry flake food. They’ll work at the flakes till they are full. I’ve got guppy fry I feed that to now. A small pinch, two or three times a day, they and my tetras eat it up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I’m no expert, but daily tip off with pond water will help. It’s got daphnia, and will help the ph a little. I fed my fry flake food. They’ll work at the flakes till they are full. I’ve got guppy fry I feed that to now. A small pinch, two or three times a day, they and my tetras eat it up.
Thank you. PH today was 6.5; however the ammonia is up. Should I pull water out or just add to the top?

Attachments

• tank-8-26-1.jpg
    tank-8-26-1.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 148
  • tank 8-26-2.jpg
    tank 8-26-2.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 147
  • tank 8-26-3.jpg
    tank 8-26-3.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 137
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Looks like that part is that it didn’t get to cycle fully prior to adding the fish. Add some rocks or filter material from the pond, keep it in water from the pond till it’s in the aquarium. That will have a good colony of the beneficial bacteria. Plants from the pond will help too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Looks like that part is that it didn’t get to cycle fully prior to adding the fish. Add some rocks or filter material from the pond, keep it in water from the pond till it’s in the aquarium. That will have a good colony of the beneficial bacteria. Plants from the pond will help too.
The pond has nitrates, does that matter for a smaller tank?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yes. It will cycle just like a pond, and in excess, all forms of what was once ammonia is harmful. Don’t go doing a full water change, but do get plants, and do a 10-20 weekly water change. The more plants, the better. If you can get a few clippings of pothos to put in, that plant loves excess nutrients, and in a few weeks, will have readings very low or zero.
I haven’t watched your film, so I’m not sure how many fry you have, but goldfish are high waste producers, so a pothos or lots of other plants will help once the bacteria break the ammonia and other waste down into usable forms.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yes. It will cycle just like a pond, and in excess, all forms of what was once ammonia is harmful. Don’t go doing a full water change, but do get plants, and do a 10-20 weekly water change. The more plants, the better. If you can get a few clippings of pothos to put in, that plant loves excess nutrients, and in a few weeks, will have readings very low or zero.
I haven’t watched your film, so I’m not sure how many fry you have, but goldfish are high waste producers, so a pothos or lots of other plants will help once the bacteria break the ammonia and other waste down into usable forms.
I have some plants in there, I had to take some out for they were getting brown. The potholes won't live in there, so I am just putting them in until they brown? Can I use water mint or any plant that I have in the pond with roots? That won't drop my PH at night?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
A cutting of pothos can be placed in the back of the filter or just floated in the water. Attaching a picture of my bettas pothos in his vase, you can see the roots that started there. That was just cut and placed in the water. On YouTube, Rachel O’Leary talks about it, it used up the nutrients some algae she liked used, causing the algae to die off! My pleco liked it a little too much, and I no longer have any, but I’ll get a cutting for my guppies again. Plants going brown can be due to lack of light, lack of nutrients, or die back due to trauma of being moved. I’ve found I can grow water lillies if I have a good bright light or grow light, so long as my pleco isn’t eating the plants faster than they can grow!
AC317B4F-29CE-430C-8EB9-6BFF9D754D25.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Forgot to mention, as for ph, I’m no expert there. You can read up on threads dedicated to that topic. I know things like crushed oyster shell, baking soda, all play a part in buffering it, if you need to change it, but where I live, I have a ph of over 8, and I just ignore it aside from watching for big spikes. I tried with a tank years ago to get that perfect ph, but gave up and now I just choose fish that can tolerate what I’ve got. Oddly, goldfish are very hardy to it, and so are my guppies and bettas. If you need help there, do a search through articles about how to change ph.

Ask a Question