Got to 26 degrees last night, now what?

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants' started by Potchy, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Potchy

Potchy

So this is my first winter with my pond, actually just finished building it about three weeks ago. I live in southwest colorado, so winters are pretty cold, but i'm only at 5000 feet elevation, so it's not as bad as most of colorado.

I have some hardy plants for my zone, iris, corkscrew rush, some veregated grass, cat tails, lizard tails, louisianna iris.

At least i think most are hardy. The only tropical i have i brought in last night. Also need some advice on what to do with it for the winter.

So do i cut the plants back and leave where they are or put them in deeper water? I don't think that where they are now the roots will freeze. And i definitely don't want to have to get in the pond to put them out deeper. Less work the better.

well that's about it. lol

Potchy, Oct 13, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. Potchy

DrCase Moderator Moderator

that is cold ...in Arkansas in the winter i do cut them back and let them sit in the bottom of the pond...

DrCase, Oct 14, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. Potchy

pondlady

Just cut them off and leave them where they are. Most will be ready to come back i the spring. Be sure to keep a hole in the ice if you have fish. I live at 5500 feet in central utah at the foot of the rockies here. If its hardy you be ok.

pondlady, Oct 16, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question