Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
A lady I know who owns several local apartments called me earlier to ask if I had space for three small turtles in the rescue and of course I told her bring them on over and I would see what I could do for them. She brought in the three little guys about two hours ago cause I was able to make some emergency space for them. Unfortunately and very sadly though one of them had already died (an 8 to 10 month old pond slider) from his trauma, stress and dehydration. I gave him a good burial in my turtle cemetery. The other two were from the same group and from what I can gather from the lady she had a tenant who failed to pay rent and therefor the useless and cruel piece of :poop: somehow thought it would be okay to just leave the three very young turtles behind like they were furniture or garbage for someone else to deal with... I wan't to kick that guys ass so bad right now, sorry I digress... I can't stand cruel and irresponsible people who neglect animals after they take on the job of caretaker. Anyway the map turtle and the yellow bellied/ RES hybrid are doing okay all things considered and I will share updates about how they do later on. I named the YBS/RES hybrid Leonidas and the Mississippi Map turtle Heracles. Here are a few photos of them: (Leonidas is 4.5" & Heracles is 3.8")
DSCN3623.JPG
DSCN3624.JPG
DSCN3625.JPG
DSCN3626.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
how do you know he's they hybrid ?

Glad you are able to help them!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know that here because I have been called by several real estate agencies about abandoned ponds in foreclosed homes ,some were preforms and smelled horrible and thankfully saved most of them ,but taking these things apart is 1 smelly job .Most of the fish surprisingly were healthy and OK to a certain point .I found homes for all the fish and amazed at how some of them survived the horrid conditions they were in .I had to keep some of them in my stock tanks to watch and treat them and all made it to good homes safely .Sad to say but it is a sign of the times .I now keep a list of people who want fish and have places to hold them until they are healthy enough .I tell all the people even thinking of building a pond to think ahead , I always have a stock tank on hand for any sick fish ..Always keep an extra pump on hand also for this reason and even a cheap aerator .I bought a 4 port one from petco that is great for this and it came with everything and have had it for over 5 years ,so it is a good one and under 30 dollars .

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
how do you know he's they hybrid ?

Glad you are able to help them!!
You can tell by the yellow marking mixed in with and under the red below his ear area. The image does not show it that well but I will take a better image of the yellow spot next time I* post more turtle pictures.

Ask a Question