GPF Member's Babies (aka MFS evidence)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hmmm..... OK, I admit that I have not been taking fish pictures lately. I've been more focused (hee hee - see what I did there?) on the garden & critter shots. But, here are a few from earlier this year, as well as some from last Summer & Fall.
View attachment 138445View attachment 138446View attachment 138447View attachment 138448View attachment 138449View attachment 138451View attachment 138452View attachment 138453View attachment 138454
I liked the shiro best, but I'm a contrast kind of person!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Oh my. I went back looking for pictures of the fish and the last good pictures were taken in 2015! I will do my best at getting some new pictures, but until then, here is one from 2015. He is 15 years old now.

View attachment 138442
we'll be looking forward to the new pics! Pretty good catch in this one, though!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Here are the hot tub babies:

I saw them chasing this am, fry to come maybe. Also saw them snacking on the eggs, inhaling themView attachment 138455View attachment 138456View attachment 138458View attachment 138459View attachment 138460View attachment 138461
you have a goodly crop of anachris, I see! Haven't been able to start my own herd of that here in Mich; hornwort seems easier though that is slow too. And I don't see the fish snacking on it either! Can you get a couple of shots of your fav gf in the big pond for us/me??? :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I've tried taking pictures a few times. Never that great. Colors all blurry and washed out. Never that clear.
I took the skylight filter off of one of my old SLR film camera lenses and held it in front of my phone, but that didn't help. I guess what I actually need is a polarizing filter.
I'll have to try the polarizing eye glass trick or the umbrella trick.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
fat bastard
Yea the tiny Elbino cat I put in the pond 3 years a g o is now close to 24 inches long fat bastard works for him to. Then there is the black channel I guess that one should be fat bottom girl.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Is that a chagoi or is it a sorgoi, @mrsclem ? The brown on the head even mades me think it's an ochiba. Can you name the types for anyone looking on? And hard to tell, but are any of them doitsu? I like to have a mix just for the variety.
Not sure of the types on any as they were all purchased for the gin rins scales. Pretty sure Smokey is a chagoi, he has the traits, friendly, calming for the other fish. One doitsu, 2 tone blue. He was a rescue from a local nursery so named after the place- Wentworth!

Reaction score
My herd has thinned considerably, as i have learned the hard way how to deal with the growing up pains.
I will try to take some new photos (waiting on green water to clear up) or if not that i will post some of my lost ones too.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
you have a goodly crop of anachris,
It started out as a few pieces in the tub. I have it in all ponds even the fish filled ponds, not as dense, but growing good. The hornwort seems to like the 5 foot deep area of the pond. the anacharis comes back even in the shallow fishless stream ponds.

I yank a bunch of it out of the hot tub pond and dump it back into the big pond off and on all summer. It gets really dense in the hot tub pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@Tula is Madamme Butterfly a bekko? Or is she an Utsuri? Also, can't tell what Sumo is; did he/she change color with age? If so, what did Sumo begin as?

Annnnnd, you DO know where the power cord for your aerator is, right? hint hint!!
I'm embarrassed to admit I don't know many of the names for koi ! I do know my Cha Cha is a chagoi. Madame Butterfly is actually a "he" LOL and was orange and black when I got him....does that help ? Sumo is the orange and white one and has changed very little over the years......she's female. Sushi is male and is the big orange and black one, with some metallic shine to him.....ginrin?

OK, here is Cha Cha.....I purchased her from a breeder and she was advertised as a red ginrin chagoi.

D561EDC2-DE8A-4C3A-95F6-6E3E84124833_1_201_a.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Dayum; now I know why you've named parts Hell's Gate and Last Chance Harvey! I've had a couple of losses re koi but none with such spectacular stories! And it is both neat as well as sad when some start changing. I always hope they'll stay more or less as I got them. I've started charting them, year by year, just to see how they change. Maybe I'll post in a couple of years those that alter drastically.

And I haven't paid more than 60ish dollars with most coming in at about 35 on average.
Those "stories" are why i built hells gate and dead pool it was IMPOSIBLE to catch anyone in the pond the only chance i had was to use a bright flash light try to blind them so they couldn't see the net coming and as with the one when he did he then saw the net net took off right into a boulder end of story. Well before i built dead pool now i just feed them in dead pool and i can close off the exit to the main pond and there it is almost effortless to catch whom ever i am after. Usually babies with little to no color. I have four black babies from last year to still catch as until they start feeding on the pellet food there's little chance of catching them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Lisak1 , I know you only have 1 koi left, but it still would be nice to see him/her! And I like seeing the goldfish, too! So, c'mon, post a few of your babies...

@j.w ; where thou art thy pics??? Annnnnndddd, don't substitute any of your voluminous gifs for the real thing!

@bagsmom ; whatcha got for us????

@Gemma ; don't think you're off the hook, despite having your own 'babies' thread; I'd like to see some current residents of your pond. Annnnnnnd, if you can, sneak the cam under the fencing grid??? :p

@JBtheExplorer ; I KNOW you must have some pics (of the FISH)!!!
@cas ; any nice fish pics you wanna let us see???? We be a waitin'...

Hello, Houston, Houston; do we have a problem? Can @jmajid come out and play with his fish pics? Oh,Houston...

if @sissy still wanders GPF's hallowed halls, how about some closeups of the biggun's???

@BKHpondcritters , the stage awaits your lil darlings...

Is there a @CometKeith in the house? Care to add to the menagerie?

and don't think you youngsters to the forum are off the hook...going to need my reading glasses to find you all, among others I've missed! @addy1 !!! I need an assistant! Or some sort of cattle call would work I suppose...

Hmm, should I ask??? @Ian , our glorious leader, I don't think I've ever glommed onto any of your fishiness; have ya gots a pond, mate? Does ya has any pics of ya herd ya cares ta show us??? (okay, that was a really bad rendition, literally, of an accent I know better than to try! Sowwy!)
I think some ones had a few glasses of vino ..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm embarrassed to admit I don't know many of the names for koi ! I do know my Cha Cha is a chagoi. Madame Butterfly is actually a "he" LOL and was orange and black when I got him....does that help ? Sumo is the orange and white one and has changed very little over the years......she's female. Sushi is male and is the big orange and black one, with some metallic shine to him.....ginrin?

OK, here is Cha Cha.....I purchased her from a breeder and she was advertised as a red ginrin chagoi.

View attachment 138479
havent' seen one that color but I really like her! From the pic then of Madamme, I'd say he's probably a hi utsuri then. Thanks for letting us see Cha-Cha!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Watch out you might become my assistant! Hard to keep up as pond season starts!
heh, you have no idea the bennies I'd be needin' fer dat jobbie, mate! Oh, went into Ian-speak! Speaking of him, does he even HAVE a pond for me to ask for pics????

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
heh, you have no idea the bennies I'd be needin' fer dat jobbie, mate! Oh, went into Ian-speak! Speaking of him, does he even HAVE a pond for me to ask for pics????
You know I can't remember, I think so but would need to read back many years to see if he does have one.

Ask a Question