Gph and water flow

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

I posted in here a couple months ago trying to figure out a diy waterfall. I had to fix my liner, but I'm back to working on this while it's still warm enough to work outside.

I upgraded to a 210 gph pump and modified how the water was split between the two spillways. I get consistent flow that makes noise, but still not as much flow as I was hoping for. From there, I just tried a 400 gph pump and there's barely a difference.

So I guess I'm wondering if there is some kind of ratio of gph to noticeable increased flow. Do I have to hit 600gph to really see a difference? Let me know if additional info is needed!

Thanks!

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
What size are your output lines? Lots of elbows or bends can reduce flow also. That could limit the volume. Another factor is the height you are pumping and the strength of your pump-some pumps can pump higher than others. For example here is a chart for one brand:

Reaction score
Country
United States
Output line is even the whole time. I think 1/4" wide.

No elbows or severe bends. Maybe a 1 ft rise for the water to make.

I'll take a look at that link!

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I suspect your 1/4" line is the limiting factor. Only so much water you can push through a line that small no matter the pump size.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So the 400 gph pump came with a couple of nozzles: .51 and .63 inches (both sizes frustratingly close enough that the tube won't go over or inside either nozzle). I will see if I can pick up some more tubing and another splitter that will allow more water.

The table in that link is interesting. Didn't think the height would be THAT bad. Looking at their prices, this could also be a casualty of $20 amazon pumps.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Heating the tubing with some hot water or heat gun may give you the clearance to slip it on the fitting.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ooohhh and then when it cools, it should clamp right on! Never even occurred to me... probably better than the plumbing tape I've been using.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What about tube length? Either pump to splitter or splitter to the end.

Ask a Question