Grass carp outgrown pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 grass carp which must be 5-6 yrs old and are now the size of a decent trout you'd have for supper! They are really too big now for our pond which has about 20 goldfish and 6 ghost koi in it. Any suggestions what we can do? We live near a pond but there are numerous Herons nesting and fishing around it and I don't want to send them to their demise.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Check around, you maybe able to give them away. Don't know where you are located but most places it is illegal to dump captive held fish into the wild, even if they come from the wild initially.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Try to find a new home for them. Dies your local Garden center or Pond store have a community bulletin board?
Don't know about Great Britain but the release of any fish into a public waterway in the U.S.is illegal and a punishable offence.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I second the bigger pond idea; actually, build two--one for their current state and one for when they out grow the new bigger pond. You'll thank me later.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I second the bigger pond idea; actually, build two--one for their current state and one for when they out grow the new bigger pond. You'll thank me later.
make a 3rd for "just in case" lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
How big is the current pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
They can't be released into the wild. It's unusual that they are kept as pets. How did you get them in the first place?

Ask a Question