gravel and railway sleepers slope

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering how to make a slope in my pond to encourage wildlife and increase planting variety. With the pond being already built with straight sides I thought I could make one out of gravel or sand but figured it would slip. Should I add railway sleepers at the bottom to stop it from falling? If you think anything is flawed about this plan let me know.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
I think I would avoid crossties, (sleepers) in the water, unless they are of some masonry type material.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
why would sleepers be bad for the pond
As mentioned earlier, "sleepers" or AKA here in U.S. "crossties" are in this country made of wood (generaly) and treated with creosote, or some other chemical means, which may be detrimental to the health of the pond.
However, there are some, made of concrete, which may well be fine for use in the pond.
Also, if you plan to place the sleepers under the liner, it won't matter, as the liner will keep the water and sleepers seperated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
As mentioned earlier, "sleepers" or AKA here in U.S. "crossties" are in this country made of wood (generaly) and treated with creosote, or some other chemical means, which may be detrimental to the health of the pond.
However, there are some, made of concrete, which may well be fine for use in the pond.
Also, if you plan to place the sleepers under the liner, it won't matter, as the liner will keep the water and sleepers seperated.
Pond is already built I don't think putting under the liner is an option. Personally I would use Dundee blocks.

Ask a Question