Gravel in pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, wonder if anyone might be able to help? I have added some gravel to my pond and the water has gone all cloudy. Will it settle at all or have I put the wrong sort of gravel in. The pond water was really clear before and I didnt have a filter - just a solar water fountain. Will I need a filter to clear the water now? Will it affect the pondlife?

Thanks

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Gravel just adds places for particulate to hide and foul the water. If yiu do leave it in it will clear by itself but with any agitation it will cloud the water again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Gravel just adds places for particulate to hide and foul the water. If yiu do leave it in it will clear by itself but with any agitation it will cloud the water again.
I am totally in agreement with @Smaug on this issue, though it looks good to start with it can cause alott of health issues to your fish when completely clogged up

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok thanks - how long might it take to clear - we don't have any fish in it! - just plants - should I try to scoop it out again or just leave it if there are no fish in there?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Always clean gravel before putting it in .You can use quilt batting in a crate under your water fall to pick the fine stuff out

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Gravel in a pond is one of those topics where opinions are strong on both sides. We have a gravel bottom pond and it's definitely not impossible to keep clean. You don't want too much gravel - just enough to cover the liner - but many people believe gravel and rock is beneficial to a pond environment. I'm one of those people.

And yes, the cloudiness will clear up.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
As long as the gravel is not too deep, it's fine.

What you're seeing is the dust that was attached to the gravel. Had you washed it in a sieve prior to putting it in the pond, you wouldn't have this issue. It's no big deal.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm glad I read this thread cause we are thinking of building a new pond with a bottom drain, and I didn't know not to add gravel on the bottom if there is a bottom drains ( my existing pond does not have a bottom drain)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The liner gets coated with a nice good layer of muck that the fish love and that your pond loves .I had a few rocks in the pond for the koi to push around and find stuff but when I rebuilt I never put them back in .I don't have a skimmer or bottom drain .I just net the pond once in awhile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Gravel in a pond is one of those topics where opinions are strong on both sides. We have a gravel bottom pond and it's definitely not impossible to keep clean. You don't want too much gravel - just enough to cover the liner - but many people believe gravel and rock is beneficial to a pond environment. I'm one of those people.

And yes, the cloudiness will clear up.
I bought bio rock from Dr Foster and Smith to provide a good base for my filter and to hide the ends of the liner. The jury is out still on whether its going to be good or bad. My pond is only a couple months old as well and only about 30 gal. The rock sure is pretty though when you can see to the bottom.

Reaction score
I bought bio rock from Dr Foster and Smith to provide a good base for my filter and to hide the ends of the liner. The jury is out still on whether its going to be good or bad. My pond is only a couple months old as well and only about 30 gal. The rock sure is pretty though when you can see to the bottom.
A 30 gallon pond is just a puddle, I would like a bigger pond, the one i have is 5500 gallon

Ask a Question