Gravel in the bottom of pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
They will start in about two weeks and want to know if i would like to add 1" gravel to the bottom of the pond.
I think it would cause a problem when trying to vacuum the bottom if necessary.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
a vote for yes to have stone on the bottom

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'll second that. A shallow layer of gravel on the bottom is an integral part of the biological filtration of a well-balanced pond. In 7 years we have never had a need to vacuum our pond bottom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have never put gravel or rocks in the bottom of my pond. I think it just gives a place for more gunk to get stuck.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3?
Country
Canada
I vote rocks too although if deep not really that important if the first shelf has alot of rocks and below that liner will just change color with growth.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'll second that. A shallow layer of gravel on the bottom is an integral part of the biological filtration of a well-balanced pond. In 7 years we have never had a need to vacuum our pond bottom.
What size rocks or gravel are recommended for best efficiency?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have never put gravel or rocks in the bottom of my pond. I think it just gives a place for more gunk to get stuck.
we call it gunk but in thin layers in a closed environment is called heaven to bacteria. and other micro organisms

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
What size rocks or gravel are recommended for best efficiency?

I'm sure people who sell the stuff have a name or size or grade that they use to refer to it by, but I have no idea what that might be. It's bigger than what we call pea gravel. I think our supplier referred to it as "small flint" - I would say maybe 3/4".

Here's a good representation of the size we have - not my photo, stole it from the internet:

Unknown.jpeg

Whether or not there's a "best" size I don't know - this is just what we have in our pond bottom.

And @CometKeith - lots of people agree with you, but I can tell you from my experience that we never have any gunk trapped in the gravel in our pond bottom. The gravel is shallow - less than an inch deep - and whenever I get in the pond, I move it around with my feet. There's never more than a slight bit of sediment that gets stirred up. The gravel is always clean.

I took this one a few weeks ago - this gravel has been in this pond for 7 summers. Never vacuumed, never cleaned, just picked over by koi and goldfish on a daily basis. That's another theory of mine - unproven and unsubstantiated - but I think the gravel gives the fish something to root around in so they leave my lily pots alone. I never have any trouble with them digging in the pots. They do move a lot of gravel around though - I have to get in and scoop it up from the bottom from time to time and refill the shelves. They like to clear the shelves of any stones they can move.

Pond bottom.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you plan on using a bottom drain I suggest you get a little larger what ever your space between the floor of the pond and the drain cap. like lisa said the koi truly move all the rock around and that would include to th main drain. I pull out even 3/4" rocks in the filter basket the pump has no problem sucking them up apparently

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Have gravel in spots on the bottom of the pond, as well w/o issue. As GBBUDD said the little bit of muck mixed in with the gravel is a haven for macro and microfauna, bacteria.

Ask a Question