gravity fed skippy filter

Reaction score
I am planning on building a 1250gallon pond and want to have a few koi. My plan is to run a 3inch bottom drain to a 55 gallon barrel burried so the top is at water level. i'm trying to figure out the best way to turn the 55 gallon barrel into a filter having a submersible pump in it sending the water down a waterfall to the pond. I know the best solution would be to get a out of pond pump but i do not want to deal with that option. Will post a drawing later tonight. Please post ideas for the filter

Reaction score
Solids, bio, everything from the 1250 gallon pond. I know the barrel setup isn't the greatest but I'm looking for the best way to use what i have

Reaction score
Everything filters would be great if they existed, but they don't. They end up doing nothing well. Better to pick the worst issue you'll think the pond will have and then use the barrel to make a filter to handle that issue.

But I know I'm peeing into the wind, people new to ponds love everything filters. I learned the hard way too. It's fun to learn by doing.

For ideas on an everything filter you want to Google "Skippy filter". A long time fav DIY for people new to ponds. Fun to build and they look impressive, at least to people who don't know much about ponds. Not throwing stones, was once there myself. It was fun.

Ask a Question