Gray slime in a barrel....

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently turned an old wooden barrel into a small pond/water feature in my garden. There is a pump/filter and aerator installed and it has been going for almost 2 months. I have no plans to ever add fish or inverts but want to incorporate a few plants. Right now i just have some anacharis floating around. My problem is i keep getting this slimy gray coating on the walls and bottom of the barrel. I've used an algae killer and water clarifier but neither makes a difference. Most recently (2 weeks) i totally emptied the barrel and scrubbed out the goo then refilled. Now it's back again... The location is a mostly sunny spot and the water is about 18" deep. Any ideas or help to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Do you know what the barrel is made of and what it held before .I had an old oak wine barrel I cut in half in my NJ house and it did that and tested water and it was high in ph .I just lined the barrel with a really heavy duty trash bag in plastic and refilled and it was fine after that .The bag has to be one of those really heavy duty ones and be black

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is an oak barrel but i'm not sure what it was used for... i was really hoping to be able to keep it un-lined since it is in great condition and water tight but that may not be realistic :(

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you leave it unlined it only lasts maybe a year or a little more

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
What you have growing is "good old-fashioned" biofilm. It is a natural occurrence and cannot be stopped without making the water toxic to plants and other life. It is harmless.

Ask a Question