Great- have a leak

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've noticed my pond level keeps dropping. Today it was below my airation machine. How can I find this leak and patch it at a reasonable cost? I have turned the pump off to see how low it'll leak cause the hole will probably be just above the water level.

How do I path this sucker when I find it? Any tips for finding it?

I'm a rubber liner that's nailed down basically.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Any tips on how to spot the leak? Should I just scower the pond with an led light in hopes to find a small hole or tear?

Not too sure who this could have happened.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had moles chew my liner .If you have muck on your liner it is harder to find .But if you look around outside your pond for wet areas that will give you a clue where it might be .How much water are you loosing ,could it be evaporation or a hose that is leaking or any where else it could be leaking

Reaction score
It might not be the pond it could be the pump line or a waterfall problem. It would be very unusual for a hole to develop on the inside edge of a pond.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
It's a liner issue. Pond has been off and is leaking. I can't look for wet spots because my pond is dig deep in the ground.

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Isn't there a trick you can do with food coloring in the water if you can narrow down the area? Put a few drops of coloring in the water and see where it is pulled.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Well looks like the leak is just below the first self where the flag stone sits.

Should not have moved the flag stone one day to see my fish. I bet that is what popped the leak.

Well the water has stopped draining. Time to scower the pond when I get home.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Wanted to post an update. I couldn't find a leak. I refilled the pond. The water level has not changed all day. I think this has to do with my secondary filter on a Rubbermaid bin this sits on the edge of the pond and drains into the pond. I think half is draining in the pond and the other half is draining into the garden.

Reaction score
Wanted to post an update. I couldn't find a leak. I refilled the pond. The water level has not changed all day. I think this has to do with my secondary filter on a Rubbermaid bin this sits on the edge of the pond and drains into the pond. I think half is draining in the pond and the other half is draining into the garden.
That sounds more likely. Liners are pretty tough and simply moving a rock shouldn't puncture it. Likewise it is difficult to picture a leak in the side of the pond. It would be impossible for anything to chew through it except maybe a rubber eating Piranha.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So I just don't get it.

I do not have a leak I know that. If I run my filter and my pump it's fine. When I hook up my secondary filter that drains into the pond my water level drops as if the water is not draining back in the pond which it is.

I have a Rubbermaid container that sits above my pond and drains into the pond. But when I have this attachment hooked up I lose water somewhere and it's not a legit leak in the liner.

I like my second filter to keep my pond super clean but I had refilling it every week 2-5 inches.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
So I just don't get it.

I do not have a leak I know that. If I run my filter and my pump it's fine. When I hook up my secondary filter that drains into the pond my water level drops as if the water is not draining back in the pond which it is.

I have a Rubbermaid container that sits above my pond and drains into the pond. But when I have this attachment hooked up I lose water somewhere and it's not a legit leak in the liner.

I like my second filter to keep my pond super clean but I had refilling it every week 2-5 inches.

Your leak is obviously somewhere in the plumbing. Check all of the connections while the water is flowing.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
The majority of leaks that are thought to be liner leaks turn out to be leaks in plumbing, water features or pond rim level issues.

Suspect your liner last, after inspecting the pond edges.

You've most likely a tear in one of your hoses, Did you use the kink-free tubing?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I used tubing from a hardware store haha. Not legit pond tubing. I removed everything. Just using the standard tuning that came with my pump and seems to be working fine.

Maybe I should float my secondary filter in the pond. I dunno haha

Ask a Question