green algae in winter ?

Reaction score
Hi everybody.

As Many know I've been very busy with my baby who is born. And that means my pond is in the worst terrible shape.

There are green algae forming on some decaying plants (I know it does sound bad) I just don't have time to go outside and do anythin as I'm on my own with the baby. But today my husband has time to watch her... I wanna go try help my pond.

Should I restart the pump and filter to help clear this mess ?

I'm so lost as for what to do... :(:(:( it got all muddy again with the last rains (winter is pretty mild here in MD this year and pretty snny as well, could that be the reason for the algae ? )

Thx, for your help... I need some zenitude and my pond was it... but is not it anymore... :(

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
congrats on the baby girl .Restart your filter but make sure lines don't freeze and filters are clean,is your pump submerged as you could just disconnect the hose to get water aerated .Fish are fine in the winter as long as there is oxygen . .A little algae by plants won't hurt to much and will clean the water some .Just make sure the bottom is clean to a point .Winter is easy as long as it does not get cold enough to freeze lines or totally freeze over pond .

Reaction score
Cant comment on turning on the pump or not, as ours is running 24/7. Pretty mild up here too, have only had ice a couple times, and nothing that interfers with the flow of the waterfalls, so just keep watch.

Depending on what kind, and how much algae would decide what, if anything, I would do... We have the typical algae that grows on the liner on and off through the year, and three specific clumps of hair algae (two of the clumps are on plants, and the other is on a small river like area just before the waterfall)... To me, it looks like free food if the fish want to snack during the warmer spells... Unless it starts going crazy, am just leaving it alone. Water is crystal clear to the bottom (up to 5') and the fish seem fine...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Mine runs also but addy turned hers off because she has external pump and sure don't want to ruin that .Here it is 57 degrees but wind makes it feel colder

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Mine running here all the time also and air stone and bubblers going also. I'd just try and scoop out any algae if in excess w/ a net. Maybe you need more plants in there to consume the nutrients in the water so algae can't grow so much? Colleen swears by lots of grasses and sedges to eat up the nutrients. I've got a few but could use some more. Congratulations too on your new little one!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Congrats on your new baby!

Be careful about turning on your pump, we are having a real cold snap coming, out here dropping into the 20-low 30 for the next week (day temp)
My water is murky, the pump has been off since November, no aerator going, with this cold I will flip it back on to keep a hole in the ice. The pond right now is freezing over, lightly, but melts during the day.

Reaction score
Hey :)

Thx Addy and everybody. I didn't turn the pump back on... I figured this pond has done without anything during years and hopefully it's gonna be ok. I melted a hole in the ice though and i'll put a deicer but pfff it's depressing; I'm gonna create a new topic to know and ask for ideas on how to fix this pond issues permanently. Too many run offs, makes it impossible to maintain... especially with a baby requiring attention H24 now ! pfff

Ask a Question