Green oil slick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I’m very much a beginner, I have made a small wildlife pond from a 39 litre tub, added an oxygenator plant plus one other and ramps for wildlife to climb on. I don’t intend on keeping fish. My pond is around 3 weeks old and has developed an oily green slick on the surface. Am I doing something wrong and how do I remove it or is this okay?
Many thanks in advance for any help and tips you can give me .

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Probably organics in the pond/tub, that will leave a little sheen on the water surface do you have a pump in there circulating the water? It won’t take long for a body of water with plants in it to develop that oily looking sheen.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Exactly. We have natural ponds in our neighborhood that are experiencing exactly that. (Try to convince the "the world is ending!" crowd that it's natural and not oil runoff from some imaginary land of death - haha!)

You have a very tiny amount of water - that can be more difficult to manage than a giant pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1625441538825.gif
@Jopat

Ask a Question