Green pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
my pond keeps going green with what looks like green clover on top, i've tried every thing I know. I have 2 UV's drained half away and topped back up, barley straw.
I've been told its the sun and try and cover the pond when sun is out.Its better in the morning.
Will it harm the fish ???

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

Can you post a picture of what it looks like?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Many Thanks

Attachments

• pond2.JPG
    pond2.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 142
  • pond1.JPG
    pond1.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 114
  • pond.JPG
    pond.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 114

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice looking pond!

It won't hurt the fish. They could care less if the water is green. Usually green because of to many nutrients.
I don't use uv lights. The green clover looking stuff might be duck weed, my fish eat it up.

Do you have a waterfall, or what type of water movement. It might help if you add a aerator, your water appears to be pretty still.

I would not drain the pond again. I would add plants, you don't appear to have many at all. They suck up excess nutrients in ponds.

What sort of filtration do you have? How often do you feed? How many fish, how much water?

I filter with only a bog type filter pea gravel and plants, never have green water.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Nice looking pond!

It won't hurt the fish. They could care less if the water is green. Usually green because of to many nutrients.
I don't use uv lights. The green clover looking stuff might be duck weed, my fish eat it up.

Do you have a waterfall, or what type of water movement. It might help if you add a aerator, your water appears to be pretty still.

I would not drain the pond again. I would add plants, you don't appear to have many at all. They suck up excess nutrients in ponds.

What sort of filtration do you have? How often do you feed? How many fish, how much water?

I filter with only a bog type filter pea gravel and plants, never have green water.

Hi
Thanks for your reply
Can you suggest what type of plants as there are koi and sturgeon in there

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 105
  • thumbnail (1).jpg
    thumbnail (1).jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 97
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
How many gallons is your pond? What kind of filtration do you have, other than the UV? I'm not a big proponent of UV filtration. It does clear green water, but what else is it killing in the meantime? Running two UVs and still struggling with green water tells me either your UV isn't working - bad bulbs maybe? - or the water is flowing too fast past the UV.

Unfortunately emptying and refilling a pond is counterproductive to getting rid of any kind of algae - you're just forcing your pond to start all over to seek balance. Any kind of algae is a sign of too many nutrients in a pond - too many fish, too few plants, decaying organic material in the pond, overfeeding, etc. Figure out the problem and address it and you'll not be in a constant battle for clear water. Barley straw supposedly works by releasing h2o2 as it decays. But then you have decaying organic material in your pond - never made sense to me. Cut to the chase and add the hydrogen peroxide directly.

Remember that the green water doesn't bother your fish one bit. Water clarity is NOT a sign of water quality which is all your fish are concerned about. And, in fact, that green water may be what's keeping your fish healthy in your pond as it is consuming the excess nutrients that would otherwise be harmful to your fish.

Sunlight is always blamed for algae growth. In my experience sunlight makes algae GREENER, but it doesn't make it grow. My pond is in full sun all day and we've never had green water. Shading a pond isn't a bad idea - fish appreciate the shade and cooler water - but it won't stop algae from growing if you have a pond that's out of balance.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How many gallons is your pond? What kind of filtration do you have, other than the UV? I'm not a big proponent of UV filtration. It does clear green water, but what else is it killing in the meantime? Running two UVs and still struggling with green water tells me either your UV isn't working - bad bulbs maybe? - or the water is flowing too fast past the UV.

Unfortunately emptying and refilling a pond is counterproductive to getting rid of any kind of algae - you're just forcing your pond to start all over to seek balance. Any kind of algae is a sign of too many nutrients in a pond - too many fish, too few plants, decaying organic material in the pond, overfeeding, etc. Figure out the problem and address it and you'll not be in a constant battle for clear water. Barley straw supposedly works by releasing h2o2 as it decays. But then you have decaying organic material in your pond - never made sense to me. Cut to the chase and add the hydrogen peroxide directly.

Remember that the green water doesn't bother your fish one bit. Water clarity is NOT a sign of water quality which is all your fish are concerned about. And, in fact, that green water may be what's keeping your fish healthy in your pond as it is consuming the excess nutrients that would otherwise be harmful to your fish.

Sunlight is always blamed for algae growth. In my experience sunlight makes algae GREENER, but it doesn't make it grow. My pond is in full sun all day and we've never had green water. Shading a pond isn't a bad idea - fish appreciate the shade and cooler water - but it won't stop algae from growing if you have a pond that's out of balance.
Thanks Lisa
I've got a Oase Biotec30 its old but still work fine Uvs are Oase Briton 72C and a Evo75 all with new bulbs back in May also got a air pump in there. Iv'e tried barley staw don't think it worked.
What is this Hydrogen peroxide does it work or shell I just let nature take its course.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1565192394629.gif
@kevstill
Hard to see what that little green stuff is that is floating on top but it could be a small floating type of plant called Duckweed. Is this what it looks like close up? If so your fish will eat it up and love it!

duckweed.jpg

Ask a Question