Green pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have worked so hard on this pond . It was real clear but now it's dark green and I hate it. I wish I could just get rid of it. It's 12x14 3ft deep and I'm using the biological filter it's a tub filled with sponges and pond batting. Does UV lights help any?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have worked so hard on this pond . It was real clear but now it's dark green and I hate it. I wish I could just get rid of it. It's 12x14 3ft deep and I'm using the biological filter it's a tub filled with sponges and pond batting. Does UV lights help any?
I have 14 medium goldfish

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Parrot lady - don't give up yet!

How old is your pond? Do you have plants in your pond? Where are you located? Are you using any chemicals or products in the pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's an old pond that I emptied and completely cleaned and redid.its always been green that's why I emptied it to start over . I have a few pond plants . I'm not using chemicals. It's been up and running now for several months it was clear for almost a month. We've had alot of rain lately, don't know if that makes more algae. I live in Camilla Ga.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would take out your sponges from the tub watch some you tube videos on how to cut and glue pvc pipe. Run the perforated pipe along the bottom of the tub. and bury it in 3/8 gravel to a foot thick. Placea hole lot of plants in the gravel and enjoy the crystal clear water. fOR NOW stop feeding the fish but once every other day.

Reaction score
Yes, a UV light works and is the only thing that will quickly clear it up. I wouldn't buy a cheap one if you can afford a good one. By a cheap one, I mean a $50 dollar one. If you get a cheap one and it doesn't work then you have thrown your money away.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do what @GBBUDD says, build a small bog. I only filter with a bog, pea gravel and plants, never have green water and my pond is full sun with lots of fish.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you can get them on ebay and some come with extra bulb or 2 for under 30 dollars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Agree with GBBUDD and addy1.
Turn that tub into a mini bog filter. You will not regret it. You will be amazed at the results. I had green water all last year. It never cleared up, no matter what I did.
This year I built a bog and within 6 days my water went from pea soup to crystal clear.
It's like magic or some kind of miracle. That's how good it is!
There's another plus to it. No more rinsing of all those filter pads or sponges. Just sit back and enjoy.
If you have koi in there, your bog size should be about 30% of the surface area of your pond. If you just have goldfish, it can be smaller. So if you find your tub bog isn't efficient enough, just add another one. Or you can build one big one.
20200425_162318.jpg
20200504_101610.jpg

My pond is 1600+ gallons

Reaction score
Country
United States

Attachments

• 20200507_150501.jpg
    20200507_150501.jpg
    463.6 KB · Views: 126
Reaction score
Country
United States
You have gotten good advice with the UV light and the bog but the bog will help so much more and wont blow up your electric bill. My bog is 5'x10' and 1' deep filled with 3/8 pea stone. My pond has stayed crystal clear all spring. The bog has a large variety of plants, 50 of them, doing a fantastic job. I have 20 fish, 5"-6" inch, along with crayfish and snails. Use a bog and you wont have issues with green water..

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Love my bog! My pond has been zero filter maintenance since built. Except for pulling excess plants.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use an aerator line in both my stock tank filters and plants and I have to trim the roots of the plants but worth the time I have to do it and it gives me a chance to thin them out and give some away .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Don't give up. I could never keep my 2500 gallon pond clear even with a 25 watt uv light. I added a bog and even with way to many fish. It stays clear all the way to the bottom 4 foot deep.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Parrot Lady - I am in GA also and my water is also green this year. I really believe it has a lot to do with the weird weather we've been having. We kept having cold snaps AND lots of huge rains. I'm keeping the faith that it will soon clear up once the plants start growing more and the weather is more consistent. Good luck!

Ask a Question