Green scale

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We set up a new pond about 2month ago, about 8k L, pvc liner, we have a 10k fillter with a 16w uv lamp built in, we have had nothing but trouble, never been 100% clear had blanket weed and now the sides of the pond has a green scale on it, why? How can we get rid of it? Also when I top pond up each week do I need to add anything?
I used a filter start at beginning and we have 12 small koi any help please

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Photos of this 'Green Scale' would help.
Your pond is still relatively young and likely still going through the balancing process. Do you have aquatic plantings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Photos of this 'Green Scale' would help.
Your pond is still relatively young and likely still going through the balancing process. Do you have aquatic plantings?
Hi
Thankyou for the reply
Will post a pic tomorrow, I tried scrubbing it off with a nail brush, very stubborn, its like someone sprayed the pond liner with rough light green paint
Yes have big clump of bull rushes in centre and 2 lots of marginal plants

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hi
Thankyou for the reply
Will post a pic tomorrow, I tried scrubbing it off with a nail brush, very stubborn, its like someone sprayed the pond liner with rough light green paint
Yes have big clump of bull rushes in centre and 2 lots of marginal plants

The photos may tell a different tale, but it sounds like what you have is a typical growth of periphyton (attached algae) which isquite beneficial to the pond's eco-system. It absorbs nutrients produced from fish and other sources, it produces Oxygen, it assimilates Ammonia, it provides food for fish and other aquatic organisms, etc.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
As Meyer said, if it is just a coating of algae, it is beneficial, the fish will nibble on it and I believe it also helps with 'green water algae'. Here is a picture of the inside of my pond. The liner is black and has a coating of algae on it. I can see down 34" to the bottom. I never scrub the liner.

2016-6-13 inside (2).JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi morning
This is the pond, happened in about a day, should I just leave it or treat it?

Attachments

• WP_20160817_002.jpg
    WP_20160817_002.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 203
  • WP_20160817_001.jpg
    WP_20160817_001.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 199

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Darren If you mean the green water? Leave it alone. Your pond is new and still in the process of getting established. Algae blooms are normal and not harmful to the fish. Do you have a water test kit? Need to get one and be testing for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and pH.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@Darren If you mean the green water? Leave it alone. Your pond is new and still in the process of getting established. Algae blooms are normal and not harmful to the fish. Do you have a water test kit? Need to get one and be testing for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and pH.
Hi
No not the green water, the green lime scale stuff on the liner, I know I have been missed sold the filter as apparently its under sized for the pond + the fish is this correct? I have 8k L, 12 small koi, hozlock 10k with 16w uv, I think a 25k filter with a 72 or 110 uv would be better as pond gets sun most of day

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi
No not the green water, the green lime scale stuff on the liner, I know I have been missed sold the filter as apparently its under sized for the pond + the fish is this correct? I have 8k L, 12 small koi, hozlock 10k with 16w uv, I think a 25k filter with a 72 or 110 uv would be better as pond gets sun most of day
OK, sorry, I interpreted those last pictures as showing that the water changed color compared to the initial description you posted.

Other than the green water, I can't see anything unusual in the pics. I assume (and it's not good to assume anything) that you have blanket algae covering the liner -- this is natural as well and you don't need to remove it. But really can't tell from the pics. Can you get some close-ups to show the exact thing you're talking about?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Yeh difficult to see from first pics, hope this helps, yoj can see where I made mistake and tried removing it with a nail brush ooops

Attachments

• WP_20160817_004.jpg
    WP_20160817_004.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 193
  • WP_20160817_003.jpg
    WP_20160817_003.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 246

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Ha! Your 'green scale' isn't even close to the amount I have! ;)
In your first pictures I didn't see any water movement. My water fall and skimmer weren't providing enough water circulation and I added an air stone to the bottom of the pond. I feel it helped a lot with the water circulation and the clarity of the water.

Ask a Question