Green Water 150 Gallon Pond

Reaction score
We have green water in our 150 gallon garden pond. We bought some barley extract, which after reading more on it, seems like it might have been a waste of money (only just put it in yesterday, so we will see, but it does seem maybe a little clearer today).

I have been reading up on this, and it seems UV would be a good way to go, but seems like overkill for such a small pond. I have seen some how to's on builidng a bio filter, but all the ones I have seen have been for ponds over 1000 gallons (again seems like overkill).

Any suggestions, or links to how to build a smaller bio filter would be great.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomewave.gif
jexmex
You could use a small basket or pot w/ holes in it and put some white batting in it and run a hose from your pump over it to catch the fine particles of algae. It really does work well. When it gets dirty just take the batting out and rinse it off w/ a hose and use it again till your water is clear.

IMG_1612.JPG

Reaction score
welcomewave.gif
jexmex
You could use a small basket or pot w/ holes in it and put some white batting in it and run a hose from your pump over it to catch the fine particles of algae. It really does work well. When it gets dirty just take the batting out and rinse it off w/ a hose and use it again till your water is clear.

View attachment 43565

Thanks, I will look into doing this. What kind of batting?

Reaction score
There are 10,723 ways to get rid of green water, and a couple of them actually work.

Bio filters generally do not clear green water, they're for converting fish waste. But if you want a bio filter they certainly are easy to scale to small ponds. A Trickle Tower can be small as can a Shower Filter. You can make a fluidized bed like the one in the video. This guy has several. A 150 gal pond or aquarium, basically the same thing.
You can buy the media or find a plastic that sinks and cut that up into small pieces.

Trickle water changes can clear a pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
welcome-1-1-1.gif

Welcome to our group, even for a small pond it is great to have clear water. Check the diy section there are some filters you could build, cheaply, or a trickle tower like above.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That white quilt batting from the sewing dept at Wal-mart or wherever you can find it. You can get a big bag for fairly cheap and re-use it over and over again.

Reaction score
my first pond was also very small, but to give you some advice, we need to know what you have in there for fish, plants, filter, pumps, etc.?

Ask a Question