Green water and algae problem

Reaction score
Country
Canada
My dad has a green water and algae problem in our backyard pond. Its like this every year. We live in Ontario Canada so the pond gets warm in the summer months. I have used many treatments over the years but to no avail with this problem so I saw this product called D-Solv Oxy Pond Cleaner and here is the website for the product below.

http://www.canadianpondsonline.com/CrystalClear/D-Solv-p-214.html

I have asked my dad to add a filter system with the pump but he won't listen as he says that as long as air from the pump is circulating with the fountain pouring back into the pond that it will clear the water.

So far we have put 2 ounces of this product into the pond this week by diluting it with some of the pond water.

Here are some photos below of our pond, filter, fountain and water lily in the pond and we put 12 goldfish feeders in a month ago and lost two so far. What do you recommend to fix this problem and any advice to help fix the green water and algae.

Photos of backyard pond:

BACKYARD POND.JPG
GREEN WATER IN POND 1.JPG
POND FOUNTAIN.JPG
POND PUMP.JPG
WATER LILY IN POND.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I think this pond needs more water movement and O2, it looks stagnant. I wouldn't feed the fish for awhile, as it'll contribute to the problem.

Have you ever tested the water, using an API test kit? You test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH and phosphates.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Yes, I think it's the result of detritus building up on the bottom, decaying and feeding the algae.
It won't get better unless the filtration and water movement is improved.
Any algae clearing products will not solve the underlying problem of excess nutrients available for the algae to feed off of.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
The fastest way would be to vacuum the bottom of the pond and then install a canister filter with a backwash feature that makes it easy to clean.
A filter like this one would work.:
http://www.petsandponds.com/en/ponds-and-supplies/c5819/c183111/c244402/p16565752.html

You would have to supply a suitable pump that is capable of at least 700 gph for your 350 gallon pond.

Otherwise, you could just get the filter and pump going and clean it frequently until the detritus at the bottom of the pond was eventually removed.
Once the nutrient laden detritus is removed, your algae situation will improve greatly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi CPLady. Welcome! i agree with comments above. When you see soapy looking bubbles that's a dead giveaway there is too much organic matter in the water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Step 1: water change

Step 2: add filter plus pump.

Step 3: add an aerator.

Step 4: make a small bog

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I don't see much water movement maybe pump is to small .Not enough aeration .Algae killers are killers and they say safe but over and over again on here we read where peoples fish have died from that stuff

Ask a Question