Green water blanket weed

Reaction score
Hi i have a 8ft x 10ft x 4.5ft deep pond, no matter what i do or i use i end up with green watwr and a little blanket weed on the back wall were the waterfall is. I am running two filters with uv lights in but still end up with green water. can anybody help

Reaction score
Since properly sized, installed and maintained UV is 100% effective against green water you know there is a problem with the UV. More details would be needed for reasonable help.

Reaction score
Thank you but have checked both uv lights and they seem to be working i am wondering if the pumps are not big enough and they are not filtering enough water?

Reaction score
How old are the UV lights? They will continue to "work", that is emit visible light, a long time after their useful UV light emitting ability has passed. The useful life span of most UV lights is rated at about one year of continuous use.
Besides that the problem could be:
The Glass tube that separates the bulb from the water could be dirty.
The bulb (bulbs) may be under sized for your pond.
Your flow rate may be too great for the UV bulbs to be effective.
And, yes, there is the possibility that you don't have enough flow and the algae is growing faster than you can kill it with the UV lights.
It also could be a combination of some of the above.

In any case the UV lights won't do anything to eliminate the "blanket weed", it can only help with the green water algae.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Never used a uv .I just use quilt batting to pick up the fine stuff .Once I started using it with peroxide it went bye bye .

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Hows everything going? There are other ways to combat algae naturally with the used of pond plants, sedges, a bog filter, and the batting and quilting as Sissy says works good for quick results! :)

I don't use a UV light either and never get pea green water or excess algae and I have big KOI, but my water stays clean in the hot summer mostly due to my very large floating Yellow Flag water Iris, they work great!

Hope we hear from you again soon! We also love pictures if you can post some, don't worry if the water is not perfect right now, the green water can be cleared and for now it will hide the fish from the dreaded bad blue heron! :)

Ask a Question