Green water ggrrrrrr......

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
for the first time ever I have got a green pond. It was crystal clear 3 weeks ago. I always leave my waterfall on.
My bio filter system never failed before.
I am going to buy a UV light for it now but unsure what is the best for me.
My pond is 4,500 gal ish, 6,000gph pump. Also what does the ionizer do?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    248.8 KB · Views: 414

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
My clear water had a green shade to it a 5 weeks ago
It does this every spring when the sun starts to warm the water
I treat it 1 time each spring with a half dose of algae fix , and I'm good to go for the year ... I don't run a u v light

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Also what does the ionizer do?

Stay away from ionizers! https://www.gardenpondforum.com/articles/are-pond-ionizers-safe-you-be-the-judge.23/

Green water is a sign that your biofiltration is working. It is a normal occurrence in Northern latitude ponds. It is Nature's way of restarting the aquatic food chain and should disappear on its own as the zooplankton population gets re-established. During this time it is important to not overfeed your fish.
Spring algae blooms (green water) are a sign of a pond re-establishing its biological balance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Are those bearded irises that grow from rhysomes? I did not know they could grow in water! Wow

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Uv clarifier are a great tool but hold off til after the weather stabilizes. As the others said, green water this time of year is usual. 3 days ago I couldn't even see my fish and today the water is clear to the bottom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Are those bearded irises that grow from rhysomes? I did not know they could grow in water! Wow

I am not sure what kind of irises they are but they grow very well in my pond. They have purple flowers on them when they bloom.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Just looked at your pond,very nice! Don't worry about that green water,it will clear up. Mine looked like the literal pea soup.

Ask a Question