Green water help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I've just discovered this site, so have been researching a few threads, but thought I'd post my situation, to get hopefully some expert advice.

As background; we’ve moved into a house about 4 years ago and inherited a pond at the time. The water has always been green, but due to other priorities, haven’t been able to devote much time or attention to it. (For shame!!).

I’m hoping to rectify this now however, and would like some advice from you.

The pond is approx. in a keyhole shape, with the circle approx. 2m diameter. There are 3 levels to the pond, with one ring approx. 30cm deep, the next ring probably double that, and the deepest part of the pond approx. 1m deep. (It’s hard to tell though as the water is so green).

We did initially try and clear the water by using chemicals, but it didn’t work, and ended up killing a fish that we were unaware was living in there. (Felt awful). So we are very reluctant to use any chemicals in the pond.

We replaced that fish with 4 new goldfish a couple of years ago, and over the time there is now approx. 12-15 fish in there of varying sizes. (On a really sunny day, they come closer to the surface, (which I'm now learning is due to a lack of oxygen??), but we figure that if they’re breeding, then the pond must be quite healthy, despite it’s appearance?

The pump and filter were here when we moved in and ‘works’ in that there’s a slow trickle that comes down the water feature. It doesn’t do anything for the water colour however, so not sure how effective this is. I’ve taken the filter apart and cleaned the sponges, but not done anything with the UV bulb. (I assume this should be replaced but not entirely sure how to do so). It is a Hozelock Bioforce pump and filter, (2 separate units).

I have now bought a OASE Filtral 3000, so hoping that will have a big effect. It has been in place for about a week. But from reading on here, it seems it should be running all the time? (not just when we're in the garden).

I am aware that more plants need to be added. I’ve put in some oxygenators that I purchased from a local fish shop, (I can’t remember the name, but it was 4 x something that stays in it’s plastic netting, and a type of grass that goes in quite deep. (It was quite disheartening spending quite a bit there, but not being able to see them under the green!!). I will be creating a floating planter, to help provide more surface cover, and for the roots to take some of the nutrients.

I've been growing water lillies from seed, but have only just been experimenting with them going from a glass into a bucket. I'm yet to see any actual leaves, but it is still early days. (Were they to grow, should they go in the pond in aquatic soil - I saw somewhere that adding soil to the pond would provide fertiliser for the algae, and not just the plant? All very confusing.

So that is the extent of my knowledge, so I’m hoping you can fill in the specifics.

Main aim:
Clear pond water for our benefit, but still a healthy pond for the fish’ benefit.

My main questions therefore
*Which plants would you recommend. (I tried a few from Amazon, (water lettuce and duckweed), but either the fish ate them or they died shortly after putting them in).
* Alternatively, as a more cost-effective measure, is there any issue in ‘sourcing’ plants from rivers/lochs/reservoirs/canals nearby and putting them into the pond? Would that work with oxygenators by removing them from one source and adding them to the pond? (I'm just worried I'd be adding more dead plant life to the bottom of the pond, and not helping at all).
*Could plants be added just in gravel at the waterfall sections? If so, which ones would help with the filtering? (My knowledge of plants says they should be in soil, but some youtube videos say otherwise, so some tips here would be great).
*Cleaning the pond – I plan on clearing the sludge at the bottom of the pond – I suspect there’s quite a bit. (I wasn’t diligent with clearing the leaves that fall on the pond before, and we don’t have a skimmer). Will that disturb the fish too much? We also have frogs as well. I don’t want to harm anything, so don’t want to take away their homes or anything? So what is best to do here. Just rake away and get rid of the debris? The main plant is flowering at the moment, so it's tricky taking the metal mesh up, as it will impact on the flowers, so may need to wait til after summer to tackle the clean. (Realising that without doing so may make to the clean water attempt fail at the first hurdle).
*The pics show the shape of the pond and the waterfall The old pump and filter take the water to the waterfall, whereas the new pump and filter are under the water near the bridge.

Anyways, apologies for the long message. I don't know the water quality - I don't have a test kit, and we're based in Edinburgh, Scotland. I never knew that I was so passionate about my pond and fishkeeping!

Thanks for making it this far.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Attachments

• IMG_20190616_110448 (1).jpg
    IMG_20190616_110448 (1).jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 174

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Not really sure what local plants you can add. However, you definitely need to add more plants as the iris in the pond currently isn’t doing enough.

In the water fall area I would add either water celery or water forget me not, as both grow quickly and by doing so use a lot of available nutrients outcompeting the free floating algae (green water) for said nutrients. Adding water lilies, plant them in kitty litter (unscented) instead of using soil. Most pond plants can be planted in gravel or the ones I mentioned for the water fall can just be wedged in crevices and will grow from there.

Also make sure you have proper circulation about 2x pond volume per hour. Nice looking pond.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm on the case jhn, thanks so much. (Would never have thought to put in kitty litter!!)...
Cheers

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Kitty litter works great for media in pots and it's cheap in big bags. I got mine at Wal-mart. Make sure it says 100% clay for ingredients. Might even help clear up algae some say.

Reaction score
If this was mine I would start by taking off the wire mesh top and throwing it away you have to bite the bullet and if that means losing the flowers then hopefully more will grow. One water lily is all that your pond will hold, once it starts to produce the leaves will cover a third of the pond. I would then drain it and clean it and start over. Don't worry about what you may read about the good bacteria it will regrow. If this concerns you then don't scrub the pond just take all the muck out. Then I would get rid of all but two fish unless they are koi in which case I would get rid of all of them because the pond is not big enough for even one koi. The UV light you have isn't working it may need a new bulb, One end of the light probably unscrews and the bulb will pull out. Be very careful that you don't break the inner glass liner. As for the filter leave it on 24 hours a day. As for using plants from the wild, you are asking for green water again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the in depth replies. All very helpful and food for thought.
As an update, the water is looking much better and the green-ness is much reduced. More a sort of brown tinge now, so not clear as I'd like, but definitely better, and we're able to see the fish more often. I'm putting this down to some plants being added, and the new pump and filter on 24/7.
Will investigate the older one to see if that can be brought back into full operation.
The wire mesh, (unsightly as it is), needs to stay due to having 2 toddlers often in the garden. (So probably this is as much for the fish's safety as for the kids!!)...
I don't have koi, just goldfish. And frogs, who like the new improvised floating planter.
Some pics attached in case interested.

Attachments

• 20190627_205130.jpg
    20190627_205130.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 159
  • 20190627_191902.jpg
    20190627_191902.jpg
    348.7 KB · Views: 209
  • 20190627_191937.jpg
    20190627_191937.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 163

Ask a Question