Green water no mater how I filter it???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small pond 600 litres with 10 small koi/goldfish in! This is temporary whilst I create a bigger pond (will take a while)

My issue is the water is completely green, murky and smells.

There is no electrical supply, so I am using solar power.

I am currently using a homemade filtering system that’s running 24/7 along with an air stone also running 24/7.

The filtering system runs through several different types of filter, yet still comes out green!

Is there another type of filter that will create clear water??

The water in the image is straight out of the filter and the filters are X2 in the filter itself

Attachments

• E6884BBA-C160-408E-A710-D62FBA6ED85B.jpeg
    E6884BBA-C160-408E-A710-D62FBA6ED85B.jpeg
    86.8 KB · Views: 169
  • EBB37562-1A64-4A87-8392-8AC6609CFD8D.jpeg
    EBB37562-1A64-4A87-8392-8AC6609CFD8D.jpeg
    35.2 KB · Views: 190
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I did a 75% water change last week and the water in the picture is out of the filter this morning!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi,
Do you have pics of your pond?
If you can add plants, the plants will eat the nutrients and eventually starve the algae....or you could go the quicker route and install a UV light.
I'm thinking 10 koi, even small, may be too many for your pond volume
smscared2.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I agree with @Gemma - you have too many fish in too small of a pond. The excess nutrients from all those fish is feeding the algae and you really can't filter that out with mechanical filtration. And honestly that algae is probably keeping your fish alive as it's consuming what would otherwise be harmful to their health.

I just looked at your picture of the water though -that water is perfectly fine. Pond water doesn't need to be crystal clear - a slight green or brown-ish tint to the water is A-OK. The smell would concern me, but that's not necessarily a sign of anything bad either.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I say pond but it’s actually an IBC tank, no plants!! I don’t know what to buy as they would need to float??

Is there a solar powered UV light??

I was thinking I have used the wrong type of filter inside the filter (see pictures)? Any suggestions, I’ve heard people use lava rock??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ha ha, when I say small koi I mean 2/3 inch long changing the water even weekly is irrational!

This filtering system is being used as a small scale trial for when the big pond is built!

However this isn’t working! I am more interested in the filtering system and not interested in the slightest about the amount of fish as they will be going in a bigger pond 20ft x 8ft once built!

As can be seen in the picture the water coming straight out of the filter is green, I want the water coming straight out the filter to be clear!! My question is how do I do this and what should I be using in the filter?? Hope that clears up any confusion about the amount of fish!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Unless you have floating debris in the water, then your filter will not clear it. Your water appears to be stained (which is in no way a bad thing). Do you have organic material in the pond? Leaves or dead plant matter?

And again - crystal clear water isn't always possible in an outdoor pond because of the potential for organics to enter the pond. I would consider your water to be clear, pond style. If you want what many in the dedicated koi pond world call "gin clear water" you'll need some extensive filtering on your pond - especially given the size you plan to build.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is nothing in the pond other than the water pump, water, fish and the air stone!!

There are still some particles that are getting through the filter even though there are 8 layers of foam the water must go through.

Am I missing something??

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I guess my question is are you planning a fish pond or a swimming pool? Why the concern about the tiny particles making their way through the filter? I'm sure you can find a filtering medium that would remove every last bit, but how often do you want to clean your filter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I say pond but it’s actually an IBC tank, no plants!! I don’t know what to buy as they would need to float??

Is there a solar powered UV light??

I was thinking I have used the wrong type of filter inside the filter (see pictures)? Any suggestions, I’ve heard people use lava rock??
I use lave rocks, but they aren't magical. They give bacteria a nice home - bacteria that eats poop and generates nutrients.

The filters aren't going to filter out all the nutrients in the water, therefore algae is having a feast on all the waist from those fish (koi generate a lot of waste). There's plenty of examples here of DIY floating plant baskets and for a small investment, including some plants - water mint grows prolifically and the strong minty aroma can cover up any other bad smells.

Here's an Instructible I wrote: https://www.instructables.com/id/Floating-Plant-Basket/

PS - all the exclamation points make me think you're yelling at us.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That's fry- that would be ok. I got a new bog installed on one pond and it cleared in a week . Now pea soup again, weather in 90s every day. You are never going to have crystal clear pond water every day if you have fish.

Ask a Question