Green water no mater how I filter it???

Reaction score
Sounds like you're under powered on your filtration. Try using quilt batting as your filter medium, that might help. Might try to cover pond from sun with a tarp or something to give shade. But it sounds to me like your home made system will never work the way it stands right now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It’s most likely algae, which is a good thing, as that eats the fish waste. The fish are fine with algae, but would die with waste in their water.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the advice guys, the fish are 2-3 inch in size, my fault for the confusion.

I have already wrapped the outside of the tank with black film and it’s in the shade to try and keep the sun away.

I am using some quilting in the filter already, it’s at the side of the image I posted.

I will try the lava rocks and some plants any suggestions??

Thanks again

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You are overstocked on fish. Cut back to 2-4 koi until you can get big pond built. A 3" koi today can be 8" in 2 months

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the response but have a few tubs the same without any fish in and they all have the same colour water!! Tried the pump in a couple of them with no change!! I did mention in an earlier post that the amount of fish wasn’t the issue!!

Any other ideas??

Reaction score
I think you are doomed to have green water. I have seen larger ponds with no fish that are green. Without electricity you can't do much, actually, you can't do anything. If you have enough solar then try getting a small UV light and if it works you'll be able to clear up the water. If not then you may have to call it a day. Keep adding clean water and let it overflow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Will be trying plants, but don’t know what are best??? Will look for a 12v uv light too

It’s all a trial for the big pond once it’s made and the empty containers are to store other fish as and when they arrive. However could do with sorting this out before then. Thanks again

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well, I'll try one more time. Can you explain why the color of the water is such a concern to you? Do you test your water? There are more important things in a pond than water color. And honestly, water IN the pond looks very different than water FROM the pond in a clear container.

Of all the things you mentioned, the smell of the water would concern me more than anything. You said it was murky, but the sample you are showing us is NOT murky.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, I'll try one more time. Can you explain why the color of the water is such a concern to you? Do you test your water? There are more important things in a pond than water color. And honestly, water IN the pond looks very different than water FROM the pond in a clear container.

Of all the things you mentioned, the smell of the water would concern me more than anything. You said it was murky, but the sample you are showing us is NOT murky.

The water in the bottle is straight out of the filter, this water has been through a few layers of filtering, yet still has bits and particles in it!! What I want is at the very least particle and bit free water coming out of the filter.

I was thinking of trying a particle filter.

The filter I am using makes absolutely no difference to the water hence the question in the first place, however I’m still getting posts about the amount of fish or why I want clear water.

I have mentioned, but I’ll say again, It’s a trial for future projects.

Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think I did mention that you could no doubt get filter material fine enough to filter out basically every last bit, but how much time do you want to spend maintaining your filter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Go get a pack of the cheap nylons. Put one over the outlet of your pump, where water comes out, leave as much length as you can, then zip tie it to what ever it’s on. Check frequently, it’ll catch the partials, but you could be changing it as often as hourly. As for odor, you can try adding charcoal filter pads, or a product designed to reduce that, such as Jungle brand Clear water, which is potassium permanganate, so dose carefully, 1tsp to 10 gallons. That can kill fish if overdosed. It should not be used with carbon.

Ask a Question