Green water wont clear

Rich17

Hi all
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my dad has built a pond about 3 months ago and it is still green and just wont clear it is starting stress him out

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
More details please.
Size of pond? Fish? How many and what type/size? Filtration-mechanical/bio? How often are fish being fed and how much?
Plants?

Rich17

Hi all
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
pond is 3metres lenth 1.1/2 metres wide and 1 metre deep got approx 10 fish about 5inch in size hes got a oase biotech 14000 and feeds once a day a small hand full and they eat it all in about ten mins

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
How much sun does it get per day!....when it shines!

Rich17

Hi all
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes there is plant there is a water lilly in one corner and in the waterfall there is 6 plants in there to it is confusing me to as mine is coming up to 3 years old and mine is crystel clear and my dad wants his like mine like yesturday lol

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Could doing a part ater change help

Not really.

Have you done any water tests? Can you post any pictures?
When you feed the fish, you are also feeding the algae unless you have a method of removing the excess phosphorous that is in fish food.
What is the water circulation like?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
What kind of fish are those fish? Koi or goldfish? 10 koi is too much, 10 goldfish is ok.

The pond is 1188 gallons per your estimates...

To be honest, the plant amount doesn't sound enough. Is the pond shaded? That will make the algae bloom... But you need to get rid of the nitrates/phosphates one way or another. Yes weekly water change will help.

My suggestion is add floating plants (hyacinths, water lettuce, frogbits, parrots feathers, duckweed) and start working on making a bog. You can buy the floating plants from eBay. They are a temporary fix. You can also have more lilies to help temporarily till the bog is made.

Rich17

Hi all
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I did a water test for him a week ago and everything was great and fish wish his fish are mix koi tench rud and goldfish

Rich17

Hi all
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not really.

Have you done any water tests? Can you post any pictures?
When you feed the fish, you are also feeding the algae unless you have a method of removing the excess phosphorous that is in fish food.
What is the water circulation like?

Water circulation is fine i will get a couple pics later when i pop up to see him

Reaction score
If the uv isn't clearing it up then it isn't doing it's job. I took a pond that was so green that it looked like you could walk on it. Within a week it was clear.

Ask a Question