Green Water

Reaction score
Country
United States
I put green clean granular in the pond and now 2 hrs later the koi are jumping up out of the water . One of the fish looks like he died . I'm not sure what to do . I emptied a quarter of the pond out and put some fresh water in . Should I do anything else ?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not familiar with this particular algaecide so I can't comment on how safe it is but in general algaecide is not something that is always safe for fish (even when the label claims it is)

Since your fish appeared to have a bad reaction after adding the product I would suggest your drain more of the water from the pond and replace with clean fresh dechlorinated water. Turn your filters or air back on (if it's not already) and hope for the best.

Hopefully you can save them :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I put green clean granular in the pond and now 2 hrs later the koi are jumping up out of the water . One of the fish looks like he died . I'm not sure what to do . I emptied a quarter of the pond out and put some fresh water in . Should I do anything else ?
How much did you use and how many gallons is your pond ?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
green clean is supposed to be very fish safe .But adding less is better if you do add stuff .Better off with a uv it is safer .I understand by green clean it can raise the ph and supposed to add oxygen but comments are the same as yours are .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
green clean is supposed to be very fish safe .But adding less is better if you do add stuff .Better off with a uv it is safer .I understand by green clean it can raise the ph and supposed to add oxygen but comments are the same as yours are .
I agree, green water is beneficial to fish, in fact I keep green water ponds as well as display ponds . However many pond keepers would rather see there fish than green water, so I understand his reasons for wanting to eliminate the algae. My concern was that he may have overdosed the algaecide which is easy to do since I have done it once in the past, but with less drastic results.

Jim.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Make sure you're adding a dechlorinator product along with your water changes. If it were my pond, I'd increase aeration too.

It's been years since I used this product, but my fish suffered no ill effects. I used it to spot treat algae on the slab of granite on my waterfall. I stopped the falls, applied and brushed. Waited, then wiped off as much as I could, before re starting the falls. I stopped using it, because I now just brush the slab each day, so I don't have a build up.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use peroxide and just turn off the pump and squirt it on and leave it for 20 minutes or more it turns white and then you turn your pump back on and done .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Green clean is sodium percarbonate, I believe. Used appropriately it is not harmful to fish. How big is your pond and how much did you use?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Green clean is sodium percarbonate, I believe. Used appropriately it is not harmful to fish. How big is your pond and how much did you use?
My pond is about 4000 gallons and i just used a small scoop and spread it around , I used 4 cups . I saw a video on you tube and the guy just spread around his pond .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
@Paul Weiss Never treat a pond just after you have treated it I suggest a huge water change to rid your ponmd system of these treatments asap just as @bettasngoldfish has suggested.
Have you got a UV-c on your pond if so when was the last time you changed the UV-c light in it ?
The safest thing I know of on the market for ridding th pond of alge in a pond is made by Tetra Pond and is called AlgoRem it is safe for fish and plants , it works within a few hours and effectively clears suspended algae from your pond .
One suggestion for any treatment its advisable to treat your pond in the early morning when the day is cooler so that you can watch the effects before the heat of the summers day , all treatments need extra air in the pond just in case the oxygen levels drop suddenly

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They are all suicide in a bottle .If it has a warning on the bottle for safety for humans then how can it be safe for anything else .A good barley product does wonders and a uv and an aerator .

Ask a Question