Green water...

Reaction score
I know this is a subject that is covered to death, and I guess I'm mostly just looking for some reassurance...

I've got a 1400 gallon pond, 6 feet deep (2 feet above ground, 4 feet below). It's been up and running for close to a month now.

My water is green - like pea soup. Can't see more than 2-3 inches down. Looks really pretty on the surface, but sucks for observing fish.

I'm running a 2100gph pondmaster pump, and have stuck a Laguna Powerflomax on the intake as a prefilter.

I have lots of plants, including hornwort, parrot feather, water hyacinth, and salvina. The latter three are spreading like crazy. I've got a couple of lilies too, and so there's some shade from lily pads.

At this time, I'd say 1/4 to 1/3 of the surface is shaded by plants. The pond sits on a south-facing wall, and gets morning shade from a nearby dogwood tree. The pond gets full sun for about 8-10 hours per day, and partial sun from sunup to sundown.

Temp is in the mid 70's, up to the high 70's on hot days.

I've got 19 small fish in there.

The pond will eventually have an upper pond of 200gallons, a bog garden incorporated into the filter, and a waterfall, but it's not done yet.

There's a spitter running right now, so there's some surface agitation happening.

I've got barley straw pellets in the water, at the surface, near the pump (lots of circulation).

I've treated with a product that clumps up the algae, and a phosphate remover. I also put some pond shade product in that tints the water blue.

After I treat it, it will be clear enough to see down about 2 feet for a day or so, but gets cloudy again quickly.

After a few rainy/cool days, same as above.

I suspect that what the pond needs to look clear is:
- get the waterfall, bog, etc. going to improve airation and filtration
- let the plants grow in some more
- quit treating with the clumping stuff, and just let nature take its course

Am I on the right track? Will it clear up? How long should it take? Or is it a lost cause until I get the upper pond/bog/waterfall up and running?

Do you see anything I'm doing wrong?

Reaction score
You're missing one key thing that will get that water clear--and that's a UV light. Doesn't take long to clear up once you get the light on there. Oh, and partial water changes each week, too. I hope you're doing those.

Reaction score
one month?? Poor thing is only a baby. I am still a newbie but I would go with option #3. Our pond is now 11 months old & all seems to be going as well. It has had murky/clear cycles as expected, I am still amazed the first soup cleared overnight. Right now its been crystal clear for the last 6 months straight.

By the sound of it I've got less plants, had a lot higher temps (was >95F in summer) and have not used any products or U/V filters. Just a pump, 44gal drum with poly pipe cut up for surface area, feeding into a waterfall/stream. (No mechanical filteration as such besides gravity). It will be interesting this spring/summer though as there is a LOT of baby fish now....... Oh and I don't feed them either - maybe that helps?

Reaction score
I know people say you don't need a uv but i did use one for about a month. I have mine turned off now for a month and water is still clear. It did a great job of clearing the pond. The only algea i get is the stuff growing on the liner which the fish kick up and it floats to the surface. I just skim the top with my net everyday or so when i'm feeding. I also have a homemade skippy filter which i'm gonna double the size of in the fall or before spring. I will post pics when i start. In the top of my filter now i have 2 barley bails also.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I wish we had 70 deg days
did i miss this ...what kind of filter do you have ?

Reaction score
I had similar problems as you are having (my pond is now officially 2-1/2 mos. old now). I used Algaefix for 3 treatments and then followed up with ecofix. I am now au naturale and only using a barley powder. and a slight amount of tint. my pond is ealily 3/4 covered by plants now (those hyacinths grow like mad). I have had 2 lilly flowers and several hycinth flowers, iris etc. I now have small fishes swimming around like crazy. Give it some time and if you are using the chems, use them as they are on the label.

The only thing I will change on my pond is the skimmer filter. I like the idea of the way these guys backflush their 55 gal drum filters. Every time I clean or change my filter media, my water gets a little cloudy for about 1/2 hr.

Good luck with it, it does take a while for the pond to settle down.

Reaction score
Olee said:
I like the idea of the way these guys backflush their 55 gal drum filters.

Huh? "Backflush a 55 gal filter? It's pretty low tech stuff. Not sure what you mean about "backflushing?"

Backflushing is normally reserved for pressurized systems. And bio filters/skippy's are far from that....

Reaction score
LOL! Okay, well, if you call THAT a backflush! Plus, a lot of us don't have the ability to do that and just stick a sump pump in to get all the crap out.

Reaction score
I am in the begining stages of building my new filter. I will have a large valve on the bottom. I am tired of having to clean out my skimmer. I usually get gunk on me. My design will flow out to the garden to fertilize my veggies etc. Then I can effectively eat that gunk instead of wearing it......lol

Reaction score
Olee said:
I am in the begining stages of building my new filter. I will have a large valve on the bottom. I am tired of having to clean out my skimmer. I usually get gunk on me. My design will flow out to the garden to fertilize my veggies etc. Then I can effectively eat that gunk instead of wearing it......lol

LOL! I KNOW exactly what you are describing!

I just finished adding another barrel. They are definitely worth their weight in gold! i don't know why anyone BUYS a filter!

Please do show us your filter build as you go through it. It's always fun to see that...

Ask a Question