Green water.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Aquagarden Four in One filter for my 2200 litre garden pond, but am still having a severe problem with green water. How should I be setting the two outlets ( fountain and water feature ) in order to get the maximum effect on the green water. I do not actually have a water feature.
Can anyone help ?
Brian Richards.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Plants do the best in helping. I have used flower pots with pea gravel and plants to remove nutrients from the pond. Send water up through the pot and let it flow out through the gravel and plants back into the pond.

Also less feeding of the fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Green water means excess nutrients - too many fish, too few plants, too much feeding, organic material decaying in the pond, or a combination of any or all of the above. Address the cause and the symptom will take care of itself.

Your pond is just over 500 US gallons. To me the main thing lilies add to a pond is shade - they stay in the pot, so they are limited in their contact with the water. Get more marginal plants - irises, pickerel, arum, forget me not, reeds, sedges, etc. - in your pond or some floaters and you'll find your water clearing up on it's own. If you're feeding your fish, stop. They'll be fine.

Is there any actual filter media on your pond? I'm guessing not, if you don't have a waterfall. Without biological filtration of any kind, green water is going to persist. Essentially nature is creating her OWN biological filter for your pond.

Reaction score
The simplest way is to get a UV light. With a pond that small the light will be very inexpensive. Look at Amazon or Ebay. Once it's up and running the water should clear in about a week. You can then turn it off and wait for the water to turn green again or just leave it on.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You can then turn it off and wait for the water to turn green again or just leave it on.

That's the point that I keep trying to make - yes, there are ways to get rid of green water temporarily, aka treat the symptom. Or you can address the actual issue and get rid of it forever. Green water will not happen in a balanced pond.

Ask a Question