Green water

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi gang, just wondered if anyone in the UK is having the same problem as me.

I have a 1000 gallon 20 year old pond, water readings are bang on as they always are but i have really green, cant see my fish water.
Earlier this year we had really heavy rain every day for weeks and my pond did go cloudy, i dont get any run in water as its raised.

Now the weathers warmed up it is proper pea soup n i just wonderec if this rain had anything to do with it?
I changed my 2 uv bulbs 50 watt total 2 weeks ago and added a pond bomb to my filter, nothing has improved.

I dont want to add any chemicals any ideas or advise would be appreciated.

Just to add my pond has been crystal clear for 15 years until now

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Patience is my recommendation.

But just to cover all the potentials: do you have plants in your pond? How many fish? What kind and how big? What kind of filtration?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I was thinking patience too Lisa but everything I've read seems to say 2 weeks n it should start clearing.
I have a couple of koi mainly goldfish I upgraded my filter last year I now have a clear pond 50 as my old filter was getting bloc ked every few days. This filter is a great improvement but just can't understand why it's so green.
And I've just had a bloody heron visit tonight too

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You can YouTube some good ways to filter out some of the algae. Pure nylon quilt batting, in a milk crate or open weave plastic laundry basket, with your water running over it will catch a lot. When it clogs, just rinse it out in rain water, or a by per of pond water, and pour the used water off into your grass.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You can YouTube some good ways to filter out some of the algae. Pure nylon quilt batting, in a milk crate or open weave plastic laundry basket, with your water running over it will catch a lot. When it clogs, just rinse it out in rain water, or a by per of pond water, and pour the used water off into your grass.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Now that's a good idea my filter is catching a lot of muck but it's the green which I've never had before. Thanks

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
it can take more time as weather and sun and rain add to the mix and can delay it clearing up .Here we have had super hot days and chilly nights and it is taking longer.Plus the wind and pollen add to the mix

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I think the rain did the damage it was biblical lol. I've never had such a problem. Cant see the bottom to vac it but I don't have much sludge anyway.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
we have had heavy rains and winds gusting to 50 and 60 mph here and been windy the whole month and the pollen has been really bad

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
What about plants @Rach B ? Sometimes you just need time in the spring for the plants to catch up and starting doing their part in the bio filtration.

I'm not a big fan of UV - I feel like anything that leaves you with dead organic material in the water (and that includes chemicals) only leads to more algae growth down the way.

You could have simply reached a point where your fish have outgrown the filtration and are producing more waste than your pond can handle.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It could be that time has finally caught up with your pond’s ecosystem. Even if you haven’t added any new fish, the ones you have are still growing (and possibly reproducing), and where your pond has been “balanced” for years, it doesn’t take much in the way of little fishy bodies breathing and producing waste products to tip that balance.

Ask a Question