Green water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know what is the best treatment for green water that is pet friendly as my dogs drink the pond water?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Plants and a lot of them to out compete the free floating algae for nutrients. Or could put UV light in the filter system but it is just a band aid, ( I don’t use them)

Don’t dump chemicals of any kind in the pond to get rid of the green water it will cause more problems than it solves.

How old is the pond? How big? What type of filter system?

I ask because if the pond is new.... green water aka new pond syndrome Is just the pond establishing the base of the food web. Do nothing in this case it will clear on its own.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Plants and a lot of them to out compete the free floating algae for nutrients. Or could put UV light in the filter system but it is just a band aid, ( I don’t use them)

Don’t dump chemicals of any kind in the pond to get rid of the green water it will cause more problems than it solves.

How old is the pond? How big? What type of filter system?

I ask because if the pond is new.... green water aka new pond syndrome Is just the pond establishing the base of the food web. Do nothing in this case it will clear on its own.
Hi,
The pond is approx 2,000 litres.
It’s just over a year old.
I’ve a pump, pumping water to a pressurised filter, then down a waterfall.

I don’t have a great deal of plants in it, just a bunch of oxygenating plants, Lilly and some yellow flag iris.
The water was really clear up until about a week ago, I put some barley straw extract into the pond to clear the algae, as I had thick algae in the pond. That has cleared but water is now green?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
As stated, plants and lots of them. Algae is a plant and it's flourishing off the excess nutrients in the water created by the fish waste. So, additional plants will compete with the algae and in turn help to starve it out.
A lot of direct sun can also contribute to an algae bloom.

Ask a Question