Green water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have been trying to get our pond looking clear . After treating after 2 weeks with Glover leaf . We tried half emptied the pond then treated it with placing barley bales . That didn't work . All white powder stuck to the bottom . So completely emptied the pond . Cleaned all up . Put aqua safe tap safe and put bacteria balls into filter the amount stated for size of pond . Look great for about 6/7 days yet again turned green and had blanket in filter . Sticking to all plants and barley bales . So left so the 2 weeks treatment had lapse . Had to completely clean filter again .treated with Gloverleaf blanket week to clear from plants and bottom of pond . So yet again all white powder on the bottom of pond liner . And fixtures . What are we doing wrong we do live on the coast and was wondering if the seagulls are the problem or the water here . Please could anyone advise us what to do . Regards Brian n. June

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Good morning! I think most everyone will chime in on here with similar advice. I think the number one ingredient you need is patience! . I see that you have plants. Do you have fish? I think all the water changes are giving you repeated cases of "new pond syndrome." Your pond is trying to get into balance but it takes time. The algae grows because of excess nutrients in the water. If you have a lot of seagulls pooping in the water, that would surely put many excess nutrients in there. I know you will get lots of good advice here. I hope you can get it cleared up soon!

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome! I agree with the need for patience. How large is your pond? Is there any room to add even a small bog filter? They can work wonders for algae control as many here will attest.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Every time you empty, you are starting over. Add as many plants as you can and give it time. It can sometimes take months for a pond to find its balance.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1629219286590.gif
@Brian n june
Plants, plants and more plants! Maybe a plant covered Gazebo type cover to catch most of the bird poo?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Jeez; no one even mentioned to STOP putting in all those chemicals??? Most bad stories we get here involves chemicals in the pond. Plants lots of them, don't over feed if you have fish, and do consider a bog filter to cure almost all your issues. The pea gravel for bio and even more plants to outcompete the algae. Also, have lots of aeration.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
United States
Algae are diminished by the following: 1) Competing plants 2) Biofilters 3) Mechanical filters 4) Moving water (except for string algae) 5) Low dissolved carbon dioxide content 6) High dissolved oxygen content 7) Low organic nutrient levels 8) Shade from direct sunlight 9) Consumption by fish. There may be more that I've forgotten.

None of these involves adding chemicals. It is often best to employ at least two of the above, and be patient.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
The problem with your water is probably all the chemicals you keep dumping into it combined with your lack of patience, but may also be insufficient filtration. First tell us how big your pond is and also what you are using for filtration including your pump's flow rate. Do you have any other air flow in the pond such as an air pump with an airstone or a waterfall? Next, throw all that chemical nonsense into the trash and add PLANTS to your pond (but I might drain it and start over first, because many algae-killing treatments are harmful to plants). Plants should cover 2/3 of the surface of the water, ideally. Floating pond plants are your pond's best friend, but also have some submerged potted pond and marginal plants in planter baskets along the pond edges. The only water treatments you should ever be putting in your pond is one that neutralizes any chlorine when you add new tap water, and one that adds beneficial bacteria. If you are a fan of Cloverleaf brand products (or they are all that is sold in your area), here are the only two of their products you would use in your pond:
https://www.pond-planet.co.uk/pond-c1/pond-treatments-c23/cloverleaf-chlorine-answer-p64
https://www.pond-planet.co.uk/pond-c1/pond-treatments-c23/cloverleaf-absolute-bio-gel-p2812

I recommend, after dumping all those toxic chemicals in there, actually draining the pond one more time and starting totally over with new water again, but keep in mind, you will be starting over and you will have an algae bloom for a while before it clears up. That's called cycling, and it takes a few weeks to a couple of months for a pond to fully cycle and that's only if you have the right conditions: BACTERIA & PLANTS. You do not need "pond" plants. Hostas make good marginal plants with the pots in the water but the tops of the plants above the water. Just dig some up from your yard and plant them in well-rinsed, plain, non-clumping unscented clay kitty litter and put them in the pond. Watercress can be bought as a salad food at some grocery stores, just throw it in the pond and it will grow. Several type of Iris do well in ponds, if you have some in your yard, post pics of what they look like in bloom and we can tell you if they are the right type. That being said, I see you are in the UK, and here are combo packs of pond plants that you can just throw in and be done (no thinking required, planting depths are listed, just follow the instructions - these range in where they are planted in the water, see the chart below and read the description):
https://pondsuperstores.com/oxygenating-plant-collection/
https://pondsuperstores.com/wondrous-winter-pond-plant-collection/

Pond-Plant-Depth-Zones.jpg

Don't forget to buy baskets! Always replant into bigger baskets so the plants have room to grow. https://pondsuperstores.com/round-2l-pond-plant-baskets/

For floating pond plants, ebay is the way to go. I just get mine from someone selling a mix like this which they wrap up in a paper towel and throw in a baggie in the mail and it works out great. No point in paying more, it'll seem like a silly small amount, but they reproduce real fast in a sunny spot. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133771490653

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Agree with everything said.

Keep it natural. No chemicals.
You dont need store bought bacteria either. Your pond will produce it's own.

Patience is critical in ponding. Things dont happen overnight or over weeks. Give it time.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome! I agree with the need for patience. How large is your pond? Is there any room to add even a small bog filter? They can work wonders for algae control as many here will attest.
We've added a bog filter so much better . Thanks for the info ☺️

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning! I think most everyone will chime in on here with similar advice. I think the number one ingredient you need is patience! . I see that you have plants. Do you have fish? I think all the water changes are giving you repeated cases of "new pond syndrome." Your pond is trying to get into balance but it takes time. The algae grows because of excess nutrients in the water. If you have a lot of seagulls pooping in the water, that would surely put many excess nutrients in there. I know you will get lots of good advice here. I hope you can get it cleared up soon!
Yes we have fish . We have now added a bog filter . And now after a few weeks it's so much better . Thankyou for your info much appreciated

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Every time you empty, you are starting over. Add as many plants as you can and give it time. It can sometimes take months for a pond to find its balance.
Plants added also added a bog . Looking so much better . Leave well alone

Ask a Question