Greeting from Long Island, NY

Reaction score
Hello everyone, new to the forum.
I picked up a preformed second hand small pond this spring, 350 gallons. Plan to expand real soon, looking for ideas and advice.
2 koi, 4 shubunkins all under 4". So far doing well with the exception of a couple of nights racoons uprooted the plants. Now I keep it covered at night with a screened frame I built. But will not be able to when my pond is larger. Any ideas?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I have posted photos several times in the past 2 weeks on my protective netting that i use on my 2 ponds.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Koijam said:
So far doing well with the exception of a couple of nights racoons uprooted the plants. Now I keep it covered at night with a screened frame I built. But will not be able to when my pond is larger. Any ideas?

Critters come with ponds, they like the free water and food. LOL
I am going to just share it with them, but then again I am not keeping koi.

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in replying Koijam.

I've purchased a few Koi and goldfish (but not plants) from S. Scherer & Sons, Inc. They are located at 104 Waterside Road, Northport, NY, 11768. They have a lot of plants and their prices seem to be reasonable. The fish I purchased about a year ago are doing well.

If you want to drive a little further you can also try Starkie Brothers Garden Center, Inc at 721 Main Street, Farmingdale, NY 11735-4132. They have a pond department with a pretty good selection of fish but not a huge selection of pond plants. They also have more pumps, filters and other pond plumbing supplies than Scherer does.

PEB

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in replying Koijam.

I've purchased a few Koi and goldfish (but not plants) from S. Scherer & Sons, Inc. They are located at 104 Waterside Road, Northport, NY, 11768. They have a lot of plants and their prices seem to be reasonable. The fish I purchased about a year ago are doing well.

If you want to drive a little further you can also try Starkie Brothers Garden Center, Inc at 721 Main Street, Farmingdale, NY 11735-4132. They have a pond department with a pretty good selection of fish but not a huge selection of pond plants. They also have more pumps, filters and other pond plumbing supplies than Scherer does.

PEB

Ask a Question