Greetings fellow pond people

Reaction score
Just a note to say hi. I'm building my new pond as we speak. hope to start filling by this weekend. I will post more about it later and look forward to learning anything and everything possible from you seasoned pond people.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
We are looking forward to seeing pictures of your pond. Constructive criticism now may save you from problems later.

Good luck and welcome to the Forum!;)

Reaction score
Hi DrDave. Here are a couple of pic's of my progress so far. Pond size is 12'x5'x33". Above ground with Laguna pressure flo 3200 filter with intergrated UV-c unit and a Laguna max flo 2000 pump. 2x4 construction bolted to my excisting concrete slab mostly under my patio cover. doulble plated crossover at the corners top and bottom. 3/4" ply on the inside and 1/2" shear on the outside. Planning on a stacked stone exterior. Installed a waterfall tank yesterday and plan on installing the liner today to test the whole system. View attachment 39

View attachment 40

View attachment 41

View attachment 42

Attachments

• 2008_0226KoiPond0014.JPG
    2008_0226KoiPond0014.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 302
  • 2008_0226KoiPond0015.JPG
    2008_0226KoiPond0015.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 322
  • 2008_0226KoiPond0017.JPG
    2008_0226KoiPond0017.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 332
  • 2008_0226KoiPond0018.JPG
    2008_0226KoiPond0018.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 338

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Great start. What are you going to use to seal it? Liner, fiberglass? Also, with this much water pressure, are you sure the sides will hold up? I didn't see a lot of structure along the length.

Reaction score
20x15 goodyear liner. with double plated crossover framing top and bottom, with shear on both sides its solid as a rock. I've been a general contractor forever so I understand loads and stress probably better than your average joe. I'm more concerned with the plumbing set up. Having never plumbed for a koi pond before I'm hoping I didn't go to large on my intake and output lines. I will find out today.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Sounds like you have it covered. Where did you get your liner? I hear these can be had through roofing contractors who have remnants.

As for plumbing, I can offer you this, I never glue my pipes until I have tested everything. Then I only glue ones that are pressurized or buried.

Do you have your Koi already?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
ok hockeyref88 i grew up playing hockey,i still tell my wife i was good at it,played all winter long ......30 years ago.......i am the plumber,i didnt see your inlet & outlet ,but you cant go to big ,..........stucture , i built my raised pond with blocks and rebar than lined with rock ,i was thinking about my pond freezing and exspaning, i love the raised pond the fish are at your finger tips,,,,have raised pond in the gallery ,,your prodject looks good, whats your filter plan ?? what state are you in ?????

Reaction score
Dr. Dave I got the liner from goodyear. The guy at my local fish store (LFS) has it on in his set up at the store and it is very durable stuff.....................Dr Case I started playing hockey when I was 30 Though its been my favorite sport forever. I played for 10 years, just local advanced adult leagues, nothing pro. 8 years ago I became certified referee for both ice and roller hockey and started refereeing at various local rinks. The city of Long Beach where I live has had me under contract for the mens advanced roller hockey league for the last 7 years. I actually took this season off because I had very important stuff to do like build a koi pond. I don't ref ice any more because I'm way to busy with my contracting business. So there you have it........................As for the pond, I got the liner installed and the plumbing seems to be working just the way I pictured it. Waterfall tank works real well it seems and NO LEAKS anywhere!!!:icon_smile: I'm going to put some fish in tomorrow and start cycling. Here's a couple of pic's Let me know what you guy's think. I have not really decided what I'm doing on the outside of the pond yet. Maybe stacked stone or stucco.. Any suggestions???View attachment 43

View attachment 44

View attachment 45

Attachments

• 2008_0308koipond30004.JPG
    2008_0308koipond30004.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 295
  • 2008_0308koipond30006.JPG
    2008_0308koipond30006.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 323
  • 2008_0308koipond30007.JPG
    2008_0308koipond30007.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 331
Reaction score
Yeah I thats exactly what I did. The liner is only about 1/16 of an inch thick. Pretty easy to manipulate. Basically like rapping a present from the inside.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
What was the adhesive that you used to bond it? I used a PL type to bond mine to rocks at my waterfall, not sure which one.

Reaction score
I misunderstood you. I just folded it back on itself real tight in the corners on each end. Made sure to toe it in real good at the corners so no stess on the liner...Did I make a mistake? I just did it like the guy at my LFS told me too. Thats how his is.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Well they actually sell a bonding agent that allows you to cut and fit, then bond your liner into whatever shape you want. No folds when done this way. I was uncertain about the adhesives they were selling so I didn't do it. My next pond which will be for spawning and raising the young will be similar to yours. That is why I asked.

Reaction score
Kool. I think its OK. Most of the pond is under my patio cover. The remainder well be covered by a latticed patio cover I'm going to build. My friend gets his prize koi picked of by blue herons all the time and I don't want to have to lose any fish to kritters. I was told the 3 foot depth and keeping it covered works pretty well. Is your pond out in the open??

Ask a Question