Greetings from Central Kentucky

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hello to all you pond lovers and crazy people like me who keep digging new holes in the yard to fill with fish and water! I have ben keeping koi as well as building ponds and filter systems for near 30 years. About 25 years ago, I made the mistake of visiting a Koi breeder and came home with 100 fingerlings, just to watch them grow out and see what they would turn into! The next year I returned to get 200 and got 400 the following year. OH MY! I soon found myself reselling Koi and have been doing it ever since. It is truly a hobby gone crazy! If you have attended the Louisville Koi Show each Memorial Day weekend, you have seen me there selling fish. I am now retired to the country, growing out Koi and enjoy meeting others who have a hole in their yard into which they throw their money!!!! I am always available to help design and install ponds and filter systems and I continue to offer Koi and Gold Fish each summer. If you are in or around Central Kentucky and want to chat or visit..... let me know. Take care, Randy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome from a fellow koi keeper from Plymouth UK Randy this will be our 28th year keeping them like you we buy in but only koi that we have picked to grow on and be sold thats the joy of it to us .
We turned our hobby into a self perpetuating one as from our sales we either invest in fish health and koi books Equipment feed or new koi .
Sadly its all gone to pot since the world banking prices and now no-one wants large koi anyomore prefaring instead to buy smaller ones like us :(

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Are you up on fish health issues Randy its something weve studied over the years and new knowledge is always helpful , as you know in our hobby we never really stop learning and learning is a two way thing.
What you perhaps dont know about like new ideas or treatments, then either I or other long standing fish keepers do and vica versa , we certainly look forwards to any imput you may have to the forum.
Can you post photo's of your setup i;e pond and bringing on fasilities, your QT tank and pond filtration etc as I for one would be very interested

Dave

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
hand_writing.gif
to our group!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hello Randy, I'm just up 27 from you in Nicholasville. I bet I've seen your postings on Craigslist about Koi. My pond is not large enough for them, yet hehe. I hope our winter continues the way it has been going.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and wow you really must love raising koi .I have a couple of koi but wish some one had told me how big they get and how they destroy plants .

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Nice to hear about your life long addiction to Koi Randy! I too have had koi outside here in Canada since 1991 and my two oldest koi have been outside all their life. Today is extremely cold (-36C with windchill) (-20 Fahrenheit without windchill) and I have the big red floating cattle heater plugged into pond and my water runs non stop all year round. Koi are all alive and well even in this extreme cold.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hello Randy, I'm just up 27 from you in Nicholasville. I bet I've seen your postings on Craigslist about Koi. My pond is not large enough for them, yet hehe. I hope our winter continues the way it has been going.

Hello to you in Nicholasville! Yes! I do post on Craigslist. That would be me! If you are thinking about building a new pond or expanding your current one, please feel free to as me some questions. Been doing it for a long time and have worked on lots of ponds. I have a GREAT LOOKING load of Koi and Goldfish coming soon and hope to have my sales pavilion set up by April. I would enjoy having you visit to look at fish and talk about ponds. Please feel free to PM for contact information. Randy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hello Addy1;
OK! You get the "Golden Spade Award" for most holes dug!
Would enjoy seeing some photos of your madness!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome from a fellow koi keeper from Plymouth UK Randy this will be our 28th year keeping them like you we buy in but only koi that we have picked to grow on and be sold that's the joy of it to us .
We turned our hobby into a self perpetuating one as from our sales we either invest in fish health and koi books Equipment feed or new koi .
Sadly its all gone to pot since the world banking prices and now no-one wants large koi any more preferring instead to buy smaller ones like us :(

Dave

Hello Dave;
You Brits sure know how to do it PROPER! The photos on your club site are spot on. Such beautiful gardens with ponds or is it beautiful ponds with gardens. And not a bit of filter equipment in sight ANYWHERE. That is something I always strive for but so many over here pile up the plumbing next to the pond which takes away the beauty of the water garden creation. I hope to come tour your magical countryside sometime and look forward to viewing your ponds. Coming this way? Let us know. Cheers. Randy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Welcome Randy,
I'm a little north of you in Cincinnati. I've five koi.....and many fry formalist year, to be rehomed. I was away when they spawned and hubby forgot to pull my floating baskets, and many eggs survived.

So far everything looks ok in my pond, despite this brutal winter.

When is the Louisville Koi Show, I'd enjoy attending!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome Randy,
I'm a little north of you in Cincinnati. I've five koi.....and many fry formalist year, to be rehomed. I was away when they spawned and hubby forgot to pull my floating baskets, and many eggs survived.

So far everything looks ok in my pond, despite this brutal winter.

When is the Louisville Koi Show, I'd enjoy attending!

Hello Miss Tula;
I come up that way often to visit in-laws over in Anderson Township.
Hang in there..... It's gonna be "spring next week" and I predict NO MORE SNOW!
Thank you for your interest in our clubs annual "International Koi Show". The Louisville Koi Show is Saturday and Sunday, May 23-24, which is Memorial Day Weekend.
More information is located here: http://www.louisvillekoiclub.com/index.html This will be our 20th Anniversary Show and is slated to be a BIG EVENT!
If you have too many fish, which sooner or later happens to many of us, I would be glad to have them. Over the years, I run across folks who have had a diester of one kind or another and lost all their fish. I try to have Koi and Goldfish available to give them in order to bring new life back to their pond. When you do your spring clean, gather them up and come down to the country for a little Koi road trip. I will be glad to take them and will let you select something NICE to add to your collection! Please feel free to contact me if you haave questions or need any pond/fish information.
Take care,
Randy Fisher
Springridge Farm

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

Ask a Question