Greetings from Chelsea, Quebec (Ottawa, Ontario area) Canada

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Hi all! I have an older existing 16'x32' inground pool that is in need of major repair, so I'm now planning to either convert to a natural swimming pond, or fill in and excavate a large earth pond (up to 3/4 acre)...something much more in harmony with the rural environment where we live. I've read Michael Littlewood's books, Tim Matson's books on earth ponds, and done a lot of internet research. I'm currently waiting on my municipality to get back to me following an on-site meeting to know what my options are.

There's still lots that I'm unsure about particularly concerning the plumbing and electrical of 'closed' systems. I hope to learn a lot here.

I'll appreciate the knowledge of members here. If there are forum ponders in my neck of the woods, I'd appreciate hearing from you and exchanging ideas.

Thanks all!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and that sounds like a lot of work you are going to have to do if it is approved .Are you going to have fish also .Have you decided if approved what shape .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Thank you.

sissy, it will be a lot of work, but my wife and I recently retired and this project is now my primary focus and something I look forward to. I built my log house 30+ years ago (such homes are always a work in progress), so I don't mind physical work, however in building a pond of some sort, I want to construct it so as to minimize maintenance once complete compared to what I've had to endure with the conventional 'chemical' pool we've had for about 23 years. I don't plan to have fish. If I go with a conversion of our existing pool to a natural swimming pond using aquatic plants as the cleaning medium, the swimming area will likely remain the same, but the regeneration zone will give it an entire different, irregular shape. If I go with a larger earth pond, it will be quite irregular, and complementary to the landscape.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome! We have tons of members from Canada, but not sure about your specific area. Be sure to post pictures as you go -- we love to see [and get ideas] what other ponders come up with as no 2 ponds are ever alike!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Chelseabreeze
So how does one keep out the skeeters in a natural swimming pond? Maybe some kind of granular human/plant friendly product like those dunk things they sell? Sure would take a lot of them. Could you put in gambusia fish or something similar. I mean when we go to a lake we swim w/ the fishies :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Chelseabreeze
So how does one keep out the skeeters in a natural swimming pond? Maybe some kind of granular human/plant friendly product like those dunk things they sell? Sure would take a lot of them. Could you put in gambusia fish or something similar. I mean when we go to a lake we swim w/ the fishies :)
j.w, I think that mosquito control is really no different than for any other pond…ensuring mechanisms to avoid standing water/encourage moving water, and including aquatic plants that attract insects (e.g dragonflies) that consume skeeters. I don't know anything about products like you mention. I'm not overly interested in having fish, although a side of me wouldn't mind being able to catch trout, but I won't do it…too hard to deal with. The only other reason I'd consider adding fish is if a certain species would be an important part of the pond ecosystem to keep the water as nice as possible for swimming.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
A couple of representatives from my municipality visited my property yesterday to assess the stream that crosses front to back which I would hope to utilize as a partial water source feed (natural ground water being the other source) if I were to opt for excavating a 1/2-3/4 acre 'earth pond' (open system). They weren't willing to say too much without performing their due diligence, but my sense is that the municipality is not going to allow me to do it. My municipality is VERY eco-conscious, and if they won't let me do it, it'll be because they won't want me disturbing the water course and nearby wetland in any way. I kind of understand that, but my plan would be engineered to respect everything, including my pond being an added ecosystem attracting waterfowl, and allowing the same overflow volume and water quality. Oh well, likely not possible.

My other a option, a pond designed as 'closed recirculating system with aquatic plant regeneration zone(s)' may also not be possible because my existing conventional swimming pool fence line is approx. 35' from one section of the stream and newer bylaws require 45' from the stream. I am 'grandfathered' in that respect, but to do this type of swimming pond properly, I'd have to expand the pool area by moving the rear fence line about 10' closer to the stream. Chances are, the municipality won't let me do that either.

Sooooo, if forced to stay within my existing pool area, a closed system natural swimming pond/pool is possible, but I'll have more regeneration zone (water area) and less 'floor space' (for garden type furniture and living) than I'd prefer.

Of course, I could just fill in the existing pool and be done with the whole idea, but as a water lover, I'll likely proceed within my existing space. I'll see after the municipality gets back to me, this week I hope.

Ask a Question