Greetings from England

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Afternoon everyone :)

I have been an avid fish-keeper for a large part of my adult life, but due to the constraints of inner city living it has never been possible to branch out in to the outdoor pond side of the hobby

Thankfully I have just moved into a property where this is no longer an issue, and despite not being ideal due to the yard being all concrete there is still a large space to make use of

I have lots of plans to make use of the space and make a vibrant, nature friendly garden with an above ground pond as a prime feature

Hopefully I can pick up some valuable advice and tips from chatting to like minded people on here along the way

:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Above ground pond for me would must have a window looking into the pond a very cool advantage to a raised pond. I would also make myself a bog filter but one that is on a wall due to tight restraints . plus i think it could be pretty cool. look at it as placing gutters on a wall and letting water run across the gutter being filtered by the plants roots and then over flowing the the layer below air plants , orchids bog plants should all be able to work in this set up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Above ground pond for me would must have a window looking into the pond a very cool advantage to a raised pond. I would also make myself a bog filter but one that is on a wall due to tight restraints . plus i think it could be pretty cool. look at it as placing gutters on a wall and letting water run across the gutter being filtered by the plants roots and then over flowing the the layer below air plants , orchids bog plants should all be able to work in this set up

Greetings and thank you for the response :)

A lot of the above ground ponds I have been looking at in my local garden centers have viewing windows, the displays they have set up with fish in look really good

Where I am looking to situate my pond also has the added bonus of being in good view from my dining room window. So hopefully we can enjoy it from indoors as well

A bog filter is something totally new to me so looks like it could be a steep learning curve. I've been having a read through the pages on here and looking at peoples set ups. I have a lot of space to play with though so I'm looking forward to getting started now the weather here is starting to improve

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
probably 80 % of you blokes across the pond are of the big mechanical filters. look at it this way phosphates, and nitrates are not easily removed by mechanical filters mother nature has a solution its plants they thrive on it. And i can ttake water that has maybe 6" visibility and run the bog for 12 hours / overnight and its crystal clear

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1583086060015.gif
@pondering_life

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

Bog filters are totally simple, no real learning curve, you can do it! We will help! I love love love my bog

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
probably 80 % of you blokes across the pond are of the big mechanical filters. look at it this way phosphates, and nitrates are not easily removed by mechanical filters mother nature has a solution its plants they thrive on it. And i can ttake water that has maybe 6" visibility and run the bog for 12 hours / overnight and its crystal clear

Yes I think so, it's not something I have really come across over here
I will do some research, i certainly like the idea of a more natural set up

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is why i love the bog so your looking at water that was winterizing only an air stone in the pond no filter running for the last 4 months the water was definitely getting a little thick looking just last week i hooked up a temporary pump to the bog as the temps were up there and a week latter you can see the clarity for your self your looking through a layer of ice and rocks at the bottom of a 5'-6" deep pond or two meters deep
20200301_135653.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is why i love the bog so your looking at water that was winterizing only an air stone in the pond no filter running for the last 4 months the water was definitely getting a little thick looking just last week i hooked up a temporary pump to the bog as the temps were up there and a week latter you can see the clarity for your self your looking through a layer of ice and rocks at the bottom of a 5'-6" deep pond or two meters deep View attachment 126595
Wow really clear ! Water looks super healthy

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is not winter, but what it does look like in full sun, dead of summer heat, around 5 feet deep. I only filter with a bog.
The dark roundish spots are my huge trap door snails and some clumps of hornwort growing.

20160912_122713.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is not winter, but what it does look like in full sun, dead of summer heat, around 5 feet deep. I only filter with a bog.
The dark roundish spots are my huge trap door snails and some clumps of hornwort growing.

View attachment 126606

Looks fantastic - fish look in pristine condition too

I've always took the naturalistic approach and have had success with my aquariums so I'm hoping this will continue as I branch out into ponds

Ask a Question