Greetings from Fort Lauderdale, Florida USA

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, first time poster here.

I am completely new and totally ignorant on the subject matter. I recently purchased a property that has a pond. There are some fish in it. The previous owner said the fish survive on their own. There is a pump and filter system but the pump has been broken for eight years. The pond is made of concrete and there is a thick layer of sunk leaves at the bottom. There is a wood bridge that crosses the pond.

My reason to join is to get educated and advice on how to resurrect this pond, and have some specific questions I would be posting about.

IMAG0671.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Welcome. First step would be to know how many gallons of water the pond holds. Then get a pump that will move 1.5 times the volume per hour. Next step would be to net the gunk out of the bottom, doing so can disturb the bacteria, algae, etc, which is why I say set the pump up first, to remove the free floating gunk and bacteria stirred up. Do not, do not add a bunch of chemicals trying to fix the algae bloom, instead, add plants, filter the water, and let nature balance it out. Also, don’t go full water change. That’ll Jack things up with the natural bacteria. Patience is your friend. So are plants, so add in Waterlilly , marginals, and submerged plants, but be sure they don’t have pests or parasites. Potassium permaganate is a way to do so, just do your research on how to use it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

Get a net and slowly net out the debris on the bottom. Do a bit at a time. Have a pump or aerator running before you do. I rescued some fish once from a foreclosure, we netted the fish out, could not see them, the stink from disturbing the bottom was horrible.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome! You already got some great advice, so I'll just say stick around and you'll soon have a beautiful pond that you can be proud of. And you'll get hours and hours of enjoyment out of.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Welcome, that looks like an interesting setup
Good luck, solid advice coming your way

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@miamicuse
Nice looking pond and bridge. Would love to see more of it. How big is it and how many fish and what kind?

Ask a Question