Greetings From Georgia

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9e
Country
United States
Just joined up and thought I would give out a bit of personal pond info! I started out with ponds about five years ago when I inherited a 500 gallon concrete goldfish pond in the backyard of our newly acquired home. The pond had a small waterfall feature along with plenty of plants and about five small goldfish. Over the course of the next few years, I did very little to the pond except I added a new pump, weir, more plants and repaired the apparent leaky waterfall (and made it longer).

Then about a year ago, we discovered that our backyard also had a 1000 gallon concrete pond that had been completely filled in with dirt by the previous owner!!!. My wife and I were thrilled and I immediately set to work digging it out. A month later it was cleaned out and tested. Leaks, leaks and more leaks. So I repaired the cracks with concrete and then applied several coats of black epoxy pond paint. Not cheap! In addition, we added a 2100 gph pump and a weir for a waterfall. Next came the plants and the goldfish. All was going pretty well until this summer (except for the algae bloom) when the newly repaired concrete cracked in several places. So all the fish and plants were transferred over to the small pond while I drained, cleaned and repaired the big pond.

Everything is back in business now with both ponds. Tons of baby goldfish. Plants are thriving. No leaks. Not a heron in sight! Water is looking good for now but I know I probably need to add a filter/UV to the big pond but I will post about that later. I do have questions.

So that is a little background on me. Looking forward to hearing from you and sharing/receiving information on this glorious hobby of ours.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum and I am in GA also :) Hope you enjoy the site.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! nice find a buried pond treasure.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and hope that fixes everything because all that work needs to pay off

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi and welcome to GPF.Sounds like you have some nice ponds going there. Post some pictures when you can!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. Hope you post pics, we love pictures!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and nice discovery but a not so good one when it leaks .Probably why they filled it .

Ask a Question