Greetings from Mississippi

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I like many others have found this great site in search of support / help in problems with a green / dark pond. I've had my pond for a few years now and have battled this problem on and off since I built it by hand. I've tried many different things to get the water clear but unfortunately, nothing has ever really worked for a lengthy amount of time. With countless amounts of time, back breaking effort, and money, I'm to the point where its time to make a change. A change to either resolve the issues or move on and find a good home for my fish love so much. The problem is that all the cons are out weighting the pros at this point and it is causing my wife and to wish we had not built the pond. So, I turn to you guys for our much needed help.

Dimensions are:

6ft w X 8ft L X 3.5ft D

I built a DIY bio filter that I found on the internet and running it on a separate pump. I also have a purchased bio filter fit for our pond (running on its own pump) and a UV light that go to the waterfall.

PUMPS: Two Laguna Max flo 2900

Purchased Filter:Little Biovort 1200 gallon

Problems:

Dark Green water, High maintenance pumps (requires cleaning daily or every other day), Algae.

Solutions:

With your help I want to redesign the pump / filtration system so that we can enjoy our fish and pond. We truly love it but after 3 years of battling this, I feel it's our "Custer's Last Stand" against what has been a unyielding foe.

I will post some pics of our pond as soon as possible today but I'm sure you already get the picture of the issues we have.

Thank you in advance for all the help I know we will get here....

Attachments

• Pond 1.jpg
    Pond 1.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 333
  • Pond2.jpg
    Pond2.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 310
  • DIY Filter.jpg
    DIY Filter.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 356
  • LittleGiant.jpg
    LittleGiant.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 293
  • UV Filter.jpg
    UV Filter.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 293
Reaction score
More Pics:

Thanks again!!!

Attachments

• Dark Water.jpg
    Dark Water.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 307
  • Dark Water2.jpg
    Dark Water2.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 281
  • YUK.jpg
    YUK.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 320
Reaction score
More Pics.

Added Information:

We test using test strips and the results show that the pond is within normal ranges when we test. We've just purchased a digital PH Tester as we've lost faith in the strips.

We have 5 Koi all over 12 inches and We've had our pond since 2007. Constantly battling the problems listed here....

Attachments

• Pond3.jpg
    Pond3.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 285
  • Pond4.jpg
    Pond4.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 327
  • Fish.jpg
    Fish.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 286

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome to the forum
With the right filter your wife will love it

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Give us all time and you will be ok, check out the diy filters in the pond construction area, there are a lot of good ideas.

Reaction score
Thank you Dr

What filter would you recommend? My wife, as she has to clean the pumps in the bottom of the pond on almost a daily basis, is about ready to fill it in!

We both love the pond and love our fish however the task of trying to get it right is killing us both :biggrin:..

We are prepared to buy new pumps, filters, etc.... whatever it takes as our last ditch effort....to get it right.

Reaction score
addy1 said:
Give us all time and you will be ok, check out the diy filters in the pond construction area, there are a lot of good ideas.

Thanks Addy,

I know if we can find help it will be here!!!!!!!

Reaction score
I wanted to also say that a year and half ago I built a "skippy" style filter but it has been unhelpful. I'm actualy running both filters.

Filter 1: Little Giant Biovort 1200 gal

Filter 2: Skippy style DIY (pics added)

Both are on separate Laguna 2400 pumps

Attachments

• Filter.jpg
    Filter.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 294
  • Filter (2).jpg
    Filter (2).jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 301
  • Filter (3).JPG
    Filter (3).JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 322
  • Filter (4).jpg
    Filter (4).jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 301
  • Filter (5).JPG
    Filter (5).JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 311
Reaction score
last 3 pics

1 of the skippy filter in action (is it too small?)

2 more of the pond

Attachments

• DIY Skippy.jpg
    DIY Skippy.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 343
  • POND1.jpg
    POND1.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 320
  • Pond2.jpg
    Pond2.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 270

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I would like to see a pic of the pump i don't remember cleaning mine
I think a drum filter is needed you are a little small

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
from what i can see your skippy is way to small...whats the capacity of that planter? by my calculations your ponds in the 1200 gals range. my ponds 1200 gals i use one 1200 gph tetrapond pump and one 70 gallon "KOIGUY" skippy style stocktank filter.. my water parameters are always ideal and my water crystal clear. plans for my, and others filters are in the DIY section. i have both the stocktank filter on my outdoor pond and a 55 gallon barrel on my basement pond...both perform extremely well.....

Reaction score
DrCase said:
I would like to see a pic of the pump i don't remember cleaning mine
I think a drum filter is needed you are a little small

My wife has to clean ours almost every day as the protective cage is full of green algae.

We have two of these pumps in the pic.

They are Laguna 2000 pumps

Believe it or not both pumps died this past week. So, we are going to buy a new pump and I thought this is the time to get the right Filter, pump, and anything else we need resolved.

Attachments

• PT340-200.jpg
    PT340-200.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 284
Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
from what i can see your skippy is way to small...whats the capacity of that planter? by my calculations your ponds in the 1200 gals range. my ponds 1200 gals i use one 1200 gph tetrapond pump and one 70 gallon "KOIGUY" skippy style stocktank filter.. my water parameters are always ideal and my water crystal clear. plans for my, and others filters are in the DIY section. i have both the stocktank filter on my outdoor pond and a 55 gallon barrel on my basement pond...both perform extremely well.....

Thanks Koiguy,

I did think that the skippy is small but we are also running a Little Giant Biovort 1200. Here are the details on that filter.

BioVort Pond Filter (1200 Gallon)
Little Giant's biological filtration BioVort technology to promote beneficial bacteria growth for a natural balance in ponds up to 1200 gallons.
Multiple stage biological and mechanical filter helps provide maximum filtration

Vortex separator helps uniformly separate and evenly disperse solids across filter pads

Upflow design helps settle solids for less maintenance

Filter includes - Filter element (activated carbon)-helps reduce toxins that are harmful to aquatic life

1 Coarse & 1 Fine Filter Pads -captures debris particles

Bio-media -provides large surface area for the growth of beneficial bacteria

1" & 1-1/4" barbed adapters -for easy connection to 1" and 1-1/4" flexible tubing

Pressure Gauge

Attachments

• Copy of a207929124bb1c41c2aae1_m.JPG
    Copy of a207929124bb1c41c2aae1_m.JPG
    7.9 KB · Views: 255
Reaction score
I know exactly what you are going through. I recently built a skippy filter from the DIY section (I used a 100 gallon rubbermaid) My life has changed. I clean out my filter pads about every 2 weeks. I am so glad I finally have enough filtration.
My fish went from swimming in brown/green water to swimming in very clear water. If I were you I would use a filter that is bigger than needed. (100 gallon would do u fine) --- maybe even a 70 gallon. But, the more filtration the better.

Reaction score
3qtkidz said:
I know exactly what you are going through. I recently built a skippy filter from the DIY section (I used a 100 gallon rubbermaid) My life has changed. I clean out my filter pads about every 2 weeks. I am so glad I finally have enough filtration.
My fish went from swimming in brown/green water to swimming in very clear water. If I were you I would use a filter that is bigger than needed. (100 gallon would do u fine) --- maybe even a 70 gallon. But, the more filtration the better.

Thanks my friend,

Well there is one thing all the posts have in common and that's we have a small filter for our pond. I will start tomorrow working on the new filter.

Ask a Question