Greetings from NJ

Reaction score
Hey all. GREAT forum. Very glad I found it. 3 years in the pond world and love it every day. I have simple goldfish, two catfish and a couple of sunnies that are tiny and haven't seem to be growing.
If anyone can direct me I'm looking for established pond algae control (badly) and why won't turtles stay in my pond???:lol::frown: Thanks for the invite and again, great forum. I look forward to seeing and learning what y'all have reported.

Reaction score
Turtles have different requirements. Go to YouTube and search for turtle pond on "the pond digger" channel. His plant expert has a lovely turtle pond and he walks you through all the turtle requirements I'll try to get it posted on this thread

Here it is below:

[ame]

Reaction score
NJSouth said:
Hey all. GREAT forum. Very glad I found it. 3 years in the pond world and love it every day. I have simple goldfish, two catfish and a couple of sunnies that are tiny and haven't seem to be growing.
If anyone can direct me I'm looking for established pond algae control (badly) and why won't turtles stay in my pond???:mad::frown: Thanks for the invite and again, great forum. I look forward to seeing and learning what y'all have reported.

The first thing I would check is your nitrate and phosphate levels with a reagent type test. API has some good ones that are pretty inexpensive. Speaking from aquarium experience only, I know when some one has had a tank set up for a while and is established, then suddenly gets an algae bloom that they never had before, one thing to consider is the fish load. Your fish may have grown alot more then when you first had them and are now eatting and pooping more also. Your regimen for water weekly water exchange may have to be adjusted to either more volume or more frequent changes. That's just one possibility, but the first thing I would look for is what nutrients are "too high". It may not even be Phosphate or Nitrogen, but the other dissolved organics. You can't do too much about the sun except for floating plants and artificial shade. In aquariums people will often use blackouts. Covering the tank and not using the lights until the algae dies. This sometimes works good, but it would irk me to have to cover up what I invested so much time and money into. For a quick "cure" you could use a polish filter. You would have to make one out of an old submersible pump or plumb it into your existing pump with a bypass. Whatever you decide I would avoid liquid chemical products you pour in and is supposed to kill the algae. It may temporarily clear the water, true. More then likely you will do a little harm to any plants and even the fish and definately snails if you have them.

Ask a Question