Greetings from SE Michigan... USA

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b SE Michigan
Country
United States
I have a 1200 gallon pond. Shubunkins, fancytailed goldfish, and black goldfish. First year i am having a huge SILT problem. I took out half the water today, refilled it and it looks the same as before draining. Anything to clear it up??? Algae fix is all I usually use each spring. No other chemicals or testing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @Pond Princess !

How old is your pond? Some people use quilt batting to filter out fine sediment - pump the water through the batting, either by placing it directly below your waterfall or with a separate pump and let it flow back into the pond. You probably need to keep it stirred up a bit, as silt may settle rather quickly.

Share some pictures of your pond- we love to see what others have done!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! Pictures are great and help us see what you are dealing with.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum
As was mentioned above using batting is a easy way to make a fine filter Just make sure where ever you get it it does not have fire retardant or any other additive. i'd imagine just about every koi or tropical fish store will have batting in a small roll or rectangles. wrap that around the intake strainer of a pump or or output , like suggested earlier place in below your falls or in the bio.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b SE Michigan
Country
United States
I have a 1200 gallon pond. Shubunkins, fancytailed goldfish, and black goldfish. First year i am having a huge SILT problem. I took out half the water today, refilled it and it looks the same as before draining. Anything to clear it up??? Algae fix is all I usually use each spring. No other chemicals or testing.
Welcome @Pond Princess !

How old is your pond? Some people use quilt batting to filter out fine sediment - pump the water through the batting, either by placing it directly below your waterfall or with a separate pump and let it flow back into the pond. You probably need to keep it stirred up a bit, as silt may settle rather quickly.

Share some pictures of your pond- we love to see what others have done!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome to our group and yes pics will help .Is the ground around your pond allowing rain water to run into the pond and have you had heavy rain .Silt has to come from outside the pond most times

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5/6
Country
United States
I do just that with the batting you find in large roll for cheap at Walmart or where they sell material for making pillows etc. Works in minutes. I have to keep changing it every half hour with fresh while rinsing out the dirty one...BUT I have only a 62 gal pond so it clears it up FAST. Not sure for such a larger pond like yours.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I wash out my batting in peroxide and water and then hose it off and then water in bucket goes on my garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b SE Michigan
Country
United States
No waterfall. an exterior filter with the plastic balls. The pond is 24-30 inches deep. 20 years old, original liner. We used to go to garage sales and buy up old sweaters for a filter. Worked great but messy to clean. We have used batting before. The bottom of the pond needs cleaning foe sure, and I haven't re potted my lilies for several years. Hubby thinks it is the dirt the fish stir up when they pick off the stones on top. I don't agree. We have an in pond filter... laundry basket that has black lava rock pieces in small bags. and a pump to send the particles to the exterior filter. I used to have about 50 fish, but we live near Lake Erie and a Heron must have gotten lost and thinks our pond is a sushi bar. We have a motion detector connected to a radio but the Heron doesn't notice it, have tried fake owls, fake Heron's, wire around the pond.. Enough about the Heron. Do you think if we took the basket out got rid of the lava rocks, replaced with plastic balls. (anyplace to get them cheap) ans used a box instead of the open weave laundry basket it would help? Of course clean the bottom, and exterior filter. It gets cleaned once a a week. So frustrated. Thanks everyone for your welcomes and ideas.
200.JPG
DSCN0317.JPG
200.JPG DSCN0317.JPG
200.JPG
DSCN0317.JPG
DSCN1486.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b SE Michigan
Country
United States
I do just that with the batting you find in large roll for cheap at Walmart or where they sell material for making pillows etc. Works in minutes. I have to keep changing it every half hour with fresh while rinsing out the dirty one...BUT I have only a 62 gal pond so it clears it up FAST. Not sure for such a larger pond like yours.
Do you have to do this every day???

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
nice pond get a fish tank net to get stuff off the bottom ,even a small pool net works .But great looking pond

Ask a Question