Greetings from South Australia!

Reaction score
Hi everyone, happy to come across this very interesting site!
We are in the process of building our first pond - have a turtle we are very fond of and would like to see splash around with some room to spare. Hope turtle-fans are excepted as legit pondies here...:alieneyesa:

We have dug as big a hole as our small courtyard can hold - have decided on a rubber liner, but would like to 'hide' that with timber rails (picket-ish) which would reach ca 30 cm down into the water. 'Snapper' is a real escape-artist so rocks would not do the trick, we figure.

We are concerned about the wood rotting, or any treatments that might cause harm to either 'Snapper' or vegetation we might put in - any suggestions, please?
scratchchin.gif

Salutes, lyham

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Try composite wood if you have it try it is man made and does not rot that is what I used .I am new here too but welcome and I have found this site is full of new things to learn I look at all the pics and even all the old post because there is a wealth of info here and the pics are great .love this site learned so much here .I have only been at this for 5 years I do not count the first year with my small pond

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
turtle-welcome-to-the-group.gif
lyham
I've heard of people w/ turtle's using cinder block but it has to be built at least 2ft high to keep them in as they are such good climbers
turtle36.gif

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Turtle lovers are welcome! We have wild ones here, they come and go.

Welcome

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I do get alot of turtles here and even have stopped going down a couple of the back roads to get them off the road as people here seem to think it's funny to run over them .not funny and very inhumane

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I love turtles and if I planned on staying home more I'd get me some but hubby just retired and I wouldn't trust anyone to care for them while we were gone :frown:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I don't travel as much I did a lot of traveling while I was working so Ford Motor company paid for that .I have been to a lot of the southern states and like visiting them more and more .But going out of the country does not do anything for me any more .I am just enjoying the good old U.S.A.

Reaction score
Welcome Lyham !! What Sissy said would work or pressure treated wood if your just trying to keep Snapper in pond area! Hows the summer down under? I rented an apartment at Surfers Paradise for 6 weeks! I miss diving W/ the sharks!

Ask a Question