Greetings from South Carolina

Reaction score
Hi-
Name is Tony and I'm happy to be here.
I've always wanted a garden pond with plants and fish. Circumstances and necessities of life have usually gotten in the way.
Now, being on a new property with lots of room, the opportunity seems to be opening up.
So, I decided to join this forum instead of just lurking around the edges.

Reaction score
Hi TurtleMommy.
Have not decided on exact size yet. It'll be as big as I can make it with my shovel. LoL
I also need to decide on the exact location before I dig.
Unfortunately the last owners left a bit of a mess on the property to clean up. That's still being worked on, but starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
I'll be researching energy efficient and ease of maintenance models and techniques that the forum members have presented. Also be asking a lot of questions.
I'll want fish and of course plants. I do have some small experience with fresh water fish and maintaining indoor aquariums.
Tony...

Reaction score
Hi-
Name is Tony and I'm happy to be here.
I've always wanted a garden pond with plants and fish. Circumstances and necessities of life have usually gotten in the way.
Now, being on a new property with lots of room, the opportunity seems to be opening up.
So, I decided to join this forum instead of just lurking around the edges.

Oh you won't be lurking long, you'll be to busy digging! This place will jump start you and you will want that pond now!!! So much knowledge here, I almost fell like a pro from all the education I'm getting.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Welcome aboard, Post some pics and ask away. Location is a good point to start, Be sure and check the area for hidden traps, like sewer lines, buried gas lines, electricity, etc. Decide on type of pond, Plants and large koi don't mix well for the most part. Some get away with it but starting out it can be a disappointment if your wanting both fish and beautiful plants. Make sure you make your pond deep enough for your temperature zone. Depth can make the pond safer for fish, cooler in the summer, warmer in the winter, and you get more water with less area. Make sure you will have access to Electricity where the pump and all pond equipment will be run off of is close and has GFI circuit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hey Tony, Welcome and good luck with your pond. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on this forum that are happy to give advice so it definitely makes sense to join. When I first built my pond I made so many "beginner" mistakes it would have been a lot better for me if I was on gpf. It would have saved a lot of wear and tear on both my fish and me!

Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for the great welcome.
John:
Unfortunately the older I get the heavier that old shovel gets.
Hi Shirley:
I share 2 1/3 acres with my daughter in Gaston, Lexington County.
Larkin, Thanks for the tips:
As much as I'd like to have koi, I don't think they would be a good choice for me at this time.
Happily, The most desirable location(s) is not far from electricity and water. Of course I will have to provide the hook-ups as they are not presently installed.
Depth: I will want the fish to winter in the pond so I will plan accordingly. More concerned about southern heat. The area I like gets full sun most of the day.
Hmmm..looks like its going to be an inside work day...gonna rain.
Cheers! :coffee:

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
I agree make it as big as you can afford. This hobby is addictive and you will want a bigger one. I went from a 700 gallon stock tank to almost 5000 gallons and I would go bigger now.

Ask a Question